[Coastal] Loch Sollier Chivalric Fighter Practice

Steelquist, John F John.F.Steelquist at boeing.com
Tue Jul 22 15:50:52 PDT 2008

Greetings,

First, thank you Wissa, for asking for opinions.

Second, here's some background on why there is a combined Loch /
Stargate practice:
Several years ago, the Stargate Sunday in Memorial park (near the tennis
courts) practice had effectively been cancelled due to a lack of a
Knight Marshal and regular attendance.  The Loch Sunday practice was
sparsely attended at best (the Loch Marshal mostly planned on sitting on
a park bench at Frankie Carter Randolph park).  So, in order to have
*any* practice, Baron Godwin and Baron Ulsted suggested a combined
practice.  We then polled the fighters, and Tuesday night was selected
as the night that the majority could make.  A site was selected that was
'central' to Loch and Stargate - the UH campus.  It was hoped that
fighting on a university campus would draw from a traditional recruiting
source for the SCA - college age students.  Unfortunately, UH is very
much a commuter school, and we haven't really seen any recruiting from
this practice.

My opinion based on years of trying to keep practices going: there is a
minimum fighter population required to maintain a 'regular' practice.
That number varies according to the motivation of the 'regular'
fighters.  There is a stark reality in Houston: it's mucking hot in the
summer, and so either a larger minimum number, or increased motivation
is required to maintain a practice.  A combined practice still seems to
me to be more likely to maintain a viable practice, but if the majority
doesn't think so, it won't.

So - the *best* answer is to recruit more fighters, and practice will
handle itself (in fact, with enough fighters, there could be several
practices each week - solving the "what day" question, as well).  And
it's true that nothing recruits fighters like fighting...  However,
we've tried moving around various parks in the Clear Lake area, and none
really seem to attract recruits, but this could be a measure of a lack
of 'active' recruiting rather than just fighting.  And I would expect
any night practice to draw even less attention.

My answers to your questions:
1) I, too, would like a close practice, but I'd prefer a larger
attendance and a 'healthy' practice, which requires that 'minimum
number'.  So - if the Tuesday practice at UH is really done, then, yes,
I'll go to a Loch practice.
2) I prefer the Tuesday night schedule.

Ulsted