[Coastal] Falling down

Jerry dreifuerst at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:03:01 PDT 2008

Greeting gentles of the Stellar Kingdom from Othar Morganson, Stargate's
Knight Marshal.

We here in Stargate would like to start a "new" tradition on the fighting
fields.  We're open to finding a name for it, but so far the lead choice is
"dying."

With the Crown and Earl Marshal's permission, we'd like to allow fighters to
fall, crumple, drop, or in some other way fail to remain standing when
struck with a blow sufficient to incapacitate or kill through our armor*.
Sir William of Weir taught local fighters on this topic** often, for he also
taught "Hit 'em until they fall down."

To assist those fighters that complain that the ground is hard, is dirty and
has fire ants, we also would petition the Crown to hear by declare that all
list fields are now soft, clean and ant free.

For the many non-fighting participants (marshals, heralds, waterbearers) and
spectators (consorts, nobles, Crowns, mundanes, etc.) we thank you fighters
in advance for trying out this "new" concept at your next list field
combat.  We know that your honest attempts at recreating a medieval combat
will guide you to making the right choice when you are next struck by a good
blow.
Yours in Service to Baron and King,

Othar Morganson,
   Fighter, Trainer, Curmudgeon

* Fully armored: For the purposes of acknowledging blows, a fully armored
fighter is presumed to be wearing a lightweight, short-sleeved, knee-length,
riveted-mail hauberk over a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg
defenses and an open-faced iron helm with a nasal. (The helm may be presumed
to include a very light chain mail drape permitting vision and resisting
cuts by a mere touch of a bladed weapon.) Also, the hands, wrists, knees and
lower legs, and feet, including the areas up to 1 inch (2.5cm) above the
kneecap and 1 inch (2.5cm) above the bend of the wrist, are not legal
targets.

** "Pick up your right foot, now pick up your left foot.  No, no, I didn't
tell you to put your right foot down.  Keep it up while you pick up your
left foot.  I promise you can fall down if you do this."

--
Full plate and packin' steel!