[DFT] The badge?

Seanan mac Tighearnain seanan at elfsea.net
Fri Jan 31 12:58:40 PST 2003

ok, here's the long explanation. when I took over the heralds office I
looked
into the canton badge to find out why it hadn't been registered. It turned
out
that it violated one of the "Rules for Submission" In particular, this one:

Section VIII paragraph 3. Armorial Identifiability. - Elements must be used
in a design so as to preserve their individual identifiability.

Identifiable elements may be rendered unidentifiable by significant
reduction in size, marginal contrast, excessive counterchanging, voiding, or
fimbriation, or by being obscured by other elements of the design. For
instance, A COMPLEX LINE OF PARTITION COULD BE DIFFICULT TO RECOGNIZE
BETWEEN TWO PARTS OF THE FIELD THAT DO NOT HAVE GOOD CONTRAST IF MOST OF THE
LINE IS ALSO COVERED BY CHARGES. A complex divided field could obscure the
identity of charges counterchanged. Voiding and fimbriation may only be used
with simple geometric charges placed in the center of the design.

(the emphasis is mine)
in our case, red and blue do not have good contrast with each other and the
line is obscured
the yellow pile.
If anyone would like to look at the Rules for Submission they can be found
here:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html

the sections relevant to this topic are:
VII. Compatible Armorial Content
VIII. Compatible Armorial Style

I then brought this to the attention of the canton so we could deliberate
whether to continue using this
badge or design one more heraldically acceptible.

my personal opinion has been to design a new one

-Lord Seanán mac Tighearnáin
-seanan @ elfsea.net
-Dragonsfire Tor, Elfsea, ANSTEORRA!

---