ES - Party Saturday Night

Matthew G. Saroff msaroff at pca.net
Fri Dec 19 22:51:16 PST 1997

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Vicki Marsh wrote:

> I guess I don't speak Net lingo well enough to understand, Sfi.  Are you complaining about the "Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com" statement at the end of Arabella's post, or all the garbage that came through in the routing information?  I didn't get all that stuff on Internet Explorer...
>
> I know that spamming is getting or sending unsolicited e-mail, but do you mean that you will block out anybody who uses the "Hotmail" provider, or the whole Elfsea list..? Please educate me.  If it is a problem with Arabella's internet provider, then I suppose she could always send the post to the Elfsea list and then I could forward it automatically to you without all the garbage.
>
> Hmm... just trying to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.. As usual,
Hi,
	I get about 5-10 spams a day.  About 1/5 of that Is Juno or
Hotmail.  I route Hotmail and Juno to a "I check this once a week" folder.
Since I have started doing this, It's been about 8 months, I have come
across 4 (three of whom are on the Elfsea list) people who have sent me
email from those domains who are not spammers.  Juno and Hotmail don't
support spamming, but because they give out free accounts without ID, they
are favored by spammers, because they can use them once and throw them
away.
	When I come across people who use Juno and Hotmail (My travel
agent is the other one)  I put them on the approved list, and they won't
get the message again.
	Unfortunately, there is some header munging so that you
automatically reply to the list, as opposed to the person posting (It's a
philosophy of mailing list thing, a choice, not a bug or a mistake), so I
am replying to the list. I will be posting to the Procmail list (the
software that does the filtering) to find a solution.