ES - Family History

Sharon vivaine at flash.net
Fri Apr 24 06:01:53 PDT 1998

Ok so since I got left the ball rolling, i might as well submit some
closure!

The dinner with my Aunt and Cousin was wonderful. When they opened their
hotel door, I first saw my cousin, who claims to be in his 50s, but barely
looked in his 40s. Then i spied this little, short, grey haired lady, with
as much nobility in her eyes as any queen, awaiting me to approach her,
sitting on the edge of the bed.

She sprang up and in an accent thick as if she had just left the old
country, gave me a very strong hug and said..My god, you look just like you
did at 11...only taller. (That must explain my *young* looks haha)

She sat me down and for at least 30 mins asked about the family. Then
grabbed my arm and held onto me as we walked to the elevator, insisted that
they take the stairs (they always do).  They EVEN insisted on walking down
the highway to the restaurant...even tho Hengist and I insisted on the car
("You young ppl are Sooo lazy!") hahah..

She then filled my ears of 200 years and beyond of history.  She knew
exactly when my great grandfather came to the United States, claiming my
grandparents brought the whole family on a boat from tiny little villages
in Slovakia, where everyone is named Palkovic, in the late 1700s to early
1800s.  Upon arriving, my great grandparents seemed to have died and left
all of these kids orphans. My grandfather, being the oldest, was able to
get a job and  when he had enuf, bought a house, and one by one, brought
the children out of the orphanage. He refused to marry until each and
everyone had an education, a job, and a spouse. Then he finally took a wife
(who had come from Slovakia when she was 17) and had my uncles, aunt, and
father.  All of this took place in New Jersey.

She came to the US when she was 20, apparently living in a village not a
stones throw from where my grandparents came from, but since they were a
generation older, knew not of them.  She came here sponsered by an Aunt,
who had found her a job working in homes of other immigrants as a house
keeper.  She kept talking about a little dog that she had to take care of.
The light in her eyes as she said "Ooo a job and a chance to come to
America...who wouldnt want to do that...and I didnt even speak a word of
English!!!"  She explained..."this was the way alot of us children came to
the US."

At 80 years old, this incredibly spry, very young at heart lady still sings
in a choir, sews costumes for the elementary schools, helps with local
weddings, and visits alot of "elderly". She, of course, not considering
herself as "on of them".  Even tho Aunt Albina is not a blood relative, she
still hails from the area of the world half of me comes from. It gives a
person real hope, to know that if i get to that age, I could possibly have
as much fun at life, as she does.

Thanks for letting me share this with you. Its not every day you finally
get to meet someone like this, esp since I never knew my grandparents, nor
hardly any cousins.

Vivaine Taarnfalk
Barony of Elfsea