ES - principals of war

Paul Mitchell Paul_Mitchell at Filemaker.com
Thu Dec 24 11:25:26 PST 1998

Todd Marsh recently said:

>Stella and Galen wrote about the principals of war:
>
>> Economy of Force- Employ all combat power available in the most effective
>> way possible; allocate minimum essential combat power to secondary efforts.
>
>Don't waste energy on showy stuff that won't kill him.
>
>I would think that secondary efforts would include reserve troops.  The
>typical Ansteorran battle plan has been "You guys fight, and you others
>wait."  I plan to keep a second line in close support of the first, but
>not leave anyone in remote reserve.
>
>Llywelyn

Certainly, Llywelyn raises a good point.  What I was referring to,
though, was blows like the molinet in single combat, or using
able-bodied fighters as banner-bearers in melees.

As to the use of reserves, I certainly like to have my reserves
close enough to the lines to be able to serve as more than just
witnesses.  In melees I've commanded, the reservists' #1 command
has been "repell flank attacks".  Not something you can do from
too far away.

- Galen