ES - Regarding the absence of Lady Anne...

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu Jan 22 09:24:29 PST 1998

Galen here!

Although I think this is a private note that was inadvertantly
posted to the list, I'm going to presume to reply...

CaptnAnn wrote:

> Unto Baroness Zara Zina:
>
> I do hope this missive finds you and yours well and happy.
>
> It has come to my recent attention through several reliable sources, that
> there have been some questions and complaints regarding not only my absence at
> Elfsea functions, but also at Moot.  This, I assure you, is not without small
> consideration on my part.

Anne, my _Elfsea Scroll_ doesn't show you as an officer of the barony.
Absent that, I see no grounds to criticize your absence from moot or
other baronial gatherings, unless you've committed to be there.  I miss
you when you're not there, but I figure that's your business if you have
some other priority (like rent or food).  Sometimes on a Wed. evening,
I'm
absent because I'm home watching a new episode of _Star Trek_.

> Working 2 jobs (as I am doing) is difficult -- as most who have done this are
> very aware.  It cuts into 'fun' time, friendships, socializing, and meetings.
> Unfortunately, when there is mundane need, there must also be sacrifice.  As
> the SCA (wonderful as it is) is NOT responsible for paying bills and holding
> our regular jobs, and we do not get paid (generally, merchants are a different
> matter) for what we do in the society, I had to make a decision.  I have not
> enjoyed hearing that 'so-and-so said this...' or so-and-so said that...' about
> me, or the most recent  '...when was the last time she was at Moot?'

The only thing sillier than snarky comments about this person's
attendance,
that person's snoring, or the other's e-mail .sig file is to pay
attention to
such snarky comments, and let them worry your or cause you distress.
Please
don't do that.

> I can answer that easily:  I attended Moot back in September -- before I took
> on my 2nd job in the evenings.
>
> As to the Elfsea Dance Guild, these 2 nights a month I have made prior
> arrangements about, so I may attend and attempt to carry out my love of dance
> in the best way I know how.  I only wish I could do it more often then twice a
> month.  (My apologies to Lady Arabella -- if nothing happens, then I have
> nothing to report to you for the Scroll.)  It is not only very disheartening
> when all whom show up are one-time-only curious mundanes and nearly none of
> our great Barony's good folk, it has been most difficult at times answering
> questions regarding the whereabouts of the other guild members..? (And a
> hearty 'thank you' to Lord Julian!  There have been a lot of times when he and
> I were the only ones there.)

Allessandra had the same experience when she was trying to run a dance
guild.  So I sympathize completely; at the same time, _my_ schedule
won't permit me to add dance guild to my list of commitments.

> In short (and I will not point a finger at anyone in particular) I request
> that all the negative comments in my direction immediately cease and desist.

You must be aware that this is a completely unrealistic request.  Those
who
have negative things to say will say them to someone.  As Dorothy Parker
said,
"If you can't say something nice about someone, come sit by me."  But
take
comfort by recalling the motto of the Order of the Garter:  "Evil to him
who evil thinks."

> I am doing the best I can in the current situation.  If anyone has a
> suggestion though, on just how I can be in two places at once, I am open and
> willing to listen.  All you need to do is call, e-mail me via
> Elfsea at Ansteorra, or e-mail me privately.  I can be reached, and will respond.

Hmmmmm, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe you meant to post this publically...
Good
luck.

> I would also like momentarily to say 'thanks' to Lady Tanwyn, Lord Raimond,
> Sir Galen, Lady Simone, Mistress Eowyn, and Mistress Rhiann (sp?), for either
> keeping in touch with me through these long months, or giving me encouragement
> in some way which has helped me, when I cannot attend Elfsea functions.  I
> miss everyone greatly.

No thanks to me are needed; I did nothing for you that I wouldn't do for
anyone,
and nothing that you -- or anyone -- didn't deserve.  I hope you will
continue
your efforts in the dance guild, and wherever else in the SCA your
interests
and schedule may combine to allow.

> Thank you good Baroness for your attention in this frustrating matter.  It is
> my hope that I will again return to my beloved Elfsea and it's functions soon.

I have yet to see "too many" people at a function.  I'll look forward to
your
return.

> Dancing in Service to Barony, Crown, and Kingdom --
>
> Lady Fiona 'Anne' Cormac

- Galen of Bristol
pmitchel at flash.net
http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel/galen.htm