ES - Fwd: ANST - SCA weapons and the law (long)

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Sat Jun 20 07:10:00 PDT 1998

Mara reposted what Master Tivar Moondragon wrote:

> Since this is related to the discussion we had last week re: this subjct, I
> thought I would post it here . . . ..      Mara

> Subject: ANST - SCA weapons and the law (long)
> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:55:04 -0500
> From: Chris and Elisabeth Zakes <moondrgn at bga.com>

<snip>

> [...]
> same applies to fencing equipment. If you're going to or from fencing
> practice it's not a problem. If you walk into a bar brandishing an epee,
> *then* you've got a problem.
>
> That being said, rule #1 in this situation is still "Don't be stupid."
> Arguing with a police officer over a technicality when there's an easy way
> out (i.e. putting the blades in the trunk) is a *bad* idea. If you're
> insistent enough, and you get arrested, the case will almost certainly get
> thrown out of court, *but* you're still going to spend some time in jail,
> and be out the bond money and lawyer's fees.
>
> Now let's get on to the fun stuff: what the law actually says. I'm cutting
> and pasting the SCA-relevant stuff, and putting my comments in [square
> brackets]. This section is Texas laws (which I'm nore familiar with),
> Oklahoma law is farther down.
>
> These are quotes from the 1997/1998 Texas Penal Code, which I found at:
>
> http://www.cowtown.net/Cop_Shop/title10.html
>
> Chapter 46. Weapons
> Sec. 46.01. Definitions.
> In this chapter:
> (1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted
> for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a
> person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
> (A) blackjack;
> (B) nightstick;
> (C) mace;
> (D) tomahawk.
>
> [Note that maces are specifically listed. Most hand axes would probably
> fall into the "tomahawk" category. I expect a rattan SCA sword would also
> qualify as a "club", if used for "inflicting serious bodily injury or death".]
>
> (6) "Illegal knife" means a:
> (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
> (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
>
> [Such as a shuriken.]
>
> (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
>
> [I *think* in this context "dagger" means any double-edged knife.]
>
> (D) bowie knife;
> (E) sword; or
> (F) spear.
>
> [Those last two could ruin the average SCAer's whole day.]
>
> (7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting
> serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the
> instrument.
>
> [By this definition, fencing equipment doesn't qualify as a "knife".]
>
> Sec. 46.02. Unlawful Carrying Weapons.
> (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or
> recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.
>
> (b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is
> a Class A misdemeanor.
>
> (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the
> offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this
> state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

<things making me feel that my right to keep and bear arms -- and I
mean swords, not "assault weapons" -- have severely been abridged,
snipped>

>         -Tivar Moondragon
>    aichmophile and legalist

All of which means that I either don't take cooking knives camping with
me,
or I buy an axe at Home Depot and keep that in the truck with my swords.
I can't believe they'd gig you for a mundane wood-chopping axe; I think
it's
just when they see that unfamiliar sword.

- Galen