ES - Missed SpringFaire :-(

Armand Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Mon Apr 12 17:02:50 PDT 1999

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Brian <magikian at cwix.com>
    To: Elfsea <elfsea at Ansteorra.ORG>
    Date: Sunday, April 11, 1999 7:09 PM
    Subject: ES - Missed SpringFaire :-(

    Alas, the event that I had heard so much about passes, and I am forced to miss out on the fun and activities.  Hopefully all who attended will post accounts so that I may at least glean some essence of what transpired.

    I hope to be more involved once the semester is at an end. I really mean it this time  :-)

    Ian

WOW!

I heard from so many people about how much they enjoyed Springfaire in years past that I knew it would be a special event. However, I have had so much fun at recent events I could not imagine how Springfaire could compare to them. I've learned. My expectations were again exceeded and I count Springfaire as one of the most enjoyable events I've ever attended. If you did not have fun at Springfaire, you must not have been there. My hat's off to the event stewards, Lady Tanwyn Aniera and Lady Ceinwen ferch Rhoul, who's tremendous efforts were apparent to all in how smooth this event went.

Some highlights from my perspective:

Morning Court:
During morning court, to their great surprise, Her Majesty Sara Penrose awarded Siobhan O'Neil and Ameline du Bois their Award of Arms for services rendered to Her Majesty and the Kingdom. Lady Siobhan and Lady Ameline had helped Her Majesty with a dress at the beginning of her reign and have both been very active with service in the short time they have been in the Society. Many more awards and recognitions were given, but as 'Lady' Ameline is my ladywife I seem to have lost track of any others.

The Consort's Ransom Tourney:
In a word: Fantastic. Vivat, Lady Allesandre for a rounding success. While it's good to try new things, I would love to see this type of tourney repeated in the future if not made a tradition akin to Lyonnesse. For those who do not know how this tournament was run, please look at it's description on the Springfaire web page. (http://home.earthlink.net/~dmmerlick/sprheavy.html)

The consorts and combatants gathered on the list field to hear the tournament rules when suddenly Her Majesty Sara Penrose briefly interrupted the proceedings with an impromptu court there on the field. At which point Daniel Stewart and Armand Dragonetti were given their Award of Arms amidst the vivats of those on the field. Immediately following this, Sir Galen of Bristol on this day did add Lord Daniel and Lord Armand to his household as each swore fealty and became his two newest squires. Each were presented with an exquisite battle axe and their squire's belts were placed on them by Lady Siobhan and Lady Ameline, assisted by HL Allesandre. I was indeed overwhelmed. What more could distract me in the upcoming tournament? What indeed. No sooner had I squired to Sir Galen than the Captain of Elfsea's Baronial Guard, Lord Connor na Mara, approached and announced that 'Lord' Armand had a warrant for his arrest for the grave crime of 'Public Envy'. (I had been seen earlier in a new green tunic and hat, hand-made by my lady for the frugal garb competition. As I also wore a green tights and shoes I commented that I was 'green with envy'.) At this, Lord Connor was about to say that he had already paid for my crime, when Her Majesty, having overheard the charges, again returned to the field and granted a Royal Pardon on the spot. I was speechless. I can't begin to put into words how much all this meant to me.

As the tournament got underway, I was still in shock from all that had happened and as a new fighter I did not expect to last too long. Imagine my despair upon learning that my first round would be defending my Lady Ameline from Centurion Timotheous and challenging Sir Alaric Drake for his Lady, HE Kayleigh. Alas, it would be a short tournament for Lord Dragonetti. But to my surprise, a slight fake to the legs brought Sir Alaric's shield down just enough and my shot found his helm. I was stunned and exhilarated because I have the highest regard for HE Kayleigh and sincere respect for Sir Drake. However, Centurion Timo made quick work of me and Lady Ameline was to be seen no more. Round two, I was fighting to take Lord Lew's Lady Afan, who did not wish to leave the 'Heaven' she described as her lord's pavilion. While quick to point out that no offense was intended to me, she sent her lord to the field with the admonition, "You BETTER win!" I'm not quite sure if it was out of love or fear, but Lord Lew did indeed win! (And I have the mark's to prove it.) Next, I had to keep HE Kayleigh and my challenger was to be fought immediately after my loss to Lew. Out onto the field steps Sir Wilhelm von Buch. (An observer, who obviously had mistaken me for some David so and so, inquired to were I had left my sling.) As the field darkened in the shadow of Sir Wilhelm I tried to recall the advice given by Cent. Timo and I also wondered if a sling wasn't such a bad idea. But deep thinking is not for the field and after only a few exchanges Sir Wilhelm delivered a resounding shot to my helm and my day was done. (He has a long reach, by the way.) For the remainder of the tournament I was able to observe some outstanding combat and meet many new friends. Lady Ameline enjoyed her host's pavilion and remained there until the very last ferocious fight between Master Pepin and Timo. The tournament was running long and that final fight was a gruesome best two out of three match of rock, paper, scissors. Master Pepin proved victorious and named Mistress Muriel his Queen of Love & Beauty. To her surprise, Centurion Timo presented Lady Ameline with his vote for most inspiring consort, which gave her two votes. (Lady Ameline had watched and entertained Centurion Timo's children while at his pavilion.) Two votes created a tie and at evening court Lady Ameline shared the prizes given in that category.

Evening Court:
The feast prepared by Lady Genevieve de la Gamba was superb and the volunteers were greatly appreciated as many of them volunteered on the spot when the feastocrat was found short-handed. Court itself was long but good. That happens when there are so many people who do so much. Forgive me if I can't remember or mention all the awards. But I do remember that Lady Raisa was made a Laurel. The victors in the Light & Heavy tourneys were announced. The Rapier tourney winner went undefeated the entire day. The Heavy list winner was Master Pepin. Several more AoA's were given, including Lord Moerick and Lady Nicolette. Baron Llewellyn received a Sable Thistle. Lord Padraig sang a wonderful tribute to the first Arthurian Company which was released from service for the previous year and each member was given an Ansteorran coin in appreciation from Baroness Zara Zina. All of the members, then handed them to Centurion Airaklee Wolf for the excellent training and commitment he had shown as the Company Commander. (I wish you could have seen his face when he turned around and saw his unit standing there preparing to praise him.) Lady Ameline was recognized for her entry in the frugal garb contest. I do not recall the name of the winner of that, but I do remember that this was only her second event. Well done. (I saw the entries in the frugal garb competition and they were truly impressive. Anyone who still thinks nice garb has to be expensive needs to get with one of those competitors.)

After Court:
The Bardic competition, which was well attended, hosted some of the best bards in the kingdom and was outstanding. I did not see it, but the Middle Eastern Dance competition was run by Duchess Willow de Wisp. I was also introduced to Rolling Thunder....., say no more.

Novice Lists:
On Sunday, a novice list for the Rapier community was held, as was a Heavy novice tourney for fighters of two years or less experience. There were six fighters in the heavy list, Lord Daniel, Lord Scian, Lord Caelin, Lord Fearghus, Lord Roberto and myself. This was sponsored by four of Elfsea's Knights who each awarded a prize they had brought for this occasion. While there were four awards and six fighters, all the fighters were winners in this most enjoyable tourney.

Final Court:
During the final court, Brighad was announced as winner of the novice Rapier tourney. Vivat! Ingva presented her with a piece of regalia that had been given him long ago by a fighter who thought he showed exceptional potential. Also, Siade the Bard was recognized for best death (or did they say deaths) but appeared to have fun in so doing. The novice heavy fighters were all commended and four were given prizes from the sponsoring Knights. Lord Fearghus, for enthusiasm and rising above any hardship. Lord Scian for showing skill above that of a novice. Lord Daniel for accuracy of shots. And myself, Lord Dragonetti for panache and field presence. The highlight of the final court, however, had to be the announcement of the new King of Fools.
While there were three contestants for this King of Fools competition, Lord Raimond seemed the heir apparent. However, just as he was being announced, Lord Crandall boldly interrupted and reminded one and all that he had agreed to take responsibility for anything Lord Raimond had done and therefore that he, Lord Crandall, was the rightful King of Fools. Taking the crown, regalia and staff he arrogantly sat in the Fools throne. This was indeed a BIG surprise to all present, but no one could argue the claim. Raimond had been the favorite and now he was usurped. But wait, His Travesty Crandall stood and as his first proclamation as sovereign of his domain, conceded that he needed a deputy to help with his monumental job. He then named Lord Raimond as his new QUEEN of Fools! The uproar was tremendous and Ld. Raimond was dumbfounded. As he was escorted (or was it forced) up before His Travesty, several ladies hurried to assemble the proper attire for the new Queen. Flowers for the hair, a skirt for, well, the rest. The hoots and laughter were surely heard in Meridies. Whitney was also made a member of the guard for Their Travesties court. I can hardly wait until Fools Court!

My apologies for being so long, but this was a glorious event and there was much more than this. Also, I extend apologies if I didn't mention you or got an award wrong. I do want to again wish Lord Crandall and Baroness Xene a Happy Birthday, both of which were to be celebrated Saturday, but which received little attention due to the volume of activities at this event.

In service to Elfsea and Ansteorra,
Lord Armand Dragonetti
Elfsea Historian
Squire to Sir Galen of Bristol