ES - Elfsea Defender

GulesBaron at AOL.com GulesBaron at AOL.com
Tue Aug 3 20:51:07 PDT 1999

Although I am in favor of lessening the impact of blatant mundanity, there
are a few things that I would like to point out.  I have been fighting in the
SCA for over twenty years and my experience is that:
1.  If you are fighting in tennis shoes then you are asking to get hurt.  It
doesn't happen often but when you are hit in the foot the damage while
wearing tennies is not pretty.
2.  There are few period shoes or boots that protect much better than a pair
of tennis shoes.
3.  Few of us have the resources or the willingness to build or buy period
fighting footwear ie. sabatons (if you can find someone who even makes them).
4  We are the Society for CREATIVE Anachronism and sometimes safety outweighs
authenticity.

In short the best footwear we now have is the hard soled, steel toed combat
boots, Navy chukas or at the best, steel toed Wellingtons which have become
quite expensive.
I am off my soap box now.
Baron Geoffrey