ES - Elfsea Defender/rules/soccer/etc etc etc

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Aug 4 13:41:17 PDT 1999

A couple of years ago I experienced this type of situation in the East.  It
concerned what fighters and scouts would wear in the woods.  It was felt
that it was more important for people to look authentic or make an attempt
than to have shoes with proper traction.  The result was the loss of 3 of
my best scouts to ankle/knee injuries and their captain (me) on crutches
for the remaining 2 days of Pennsic, plus 2 weeks after that.

I appreciate the making an attempt at being Authentic at every event,
whether you are on the list field or just strolling around.  21 years ago,
my garb at my first event consisted of an embroidered cotton India-import
shirt and a long plaid skirt.  Not very period.  But I was a newbie.  Back
then several individuals took me aside and offered to help me learn how to
make period garb and make my own armor.  They took into consideration that
I was a poor, starving college student and could not afford even a
reasonable attempt at period armor.  I wore carpet armor or borrowed armor
for the entire 2 years that I fought.  I think if someone had said to me
that unless I make a reasonable attempt at being period on the field, I
can't participate, I would not be in the SCA today.

We need to take into consideration that the majority of people that are not
wearing mostly period things are either newbies or those individuals who
can't afford even the cheapest of materials.  Instead of saying "you can't
play because of what you are wearing" say to that person "we prefer people
to wear armor and shoes that look reasonably period. How can I help you
accomplish this for your next event?"  You have just made this person feel
welcome and told them that you are willing to make them feel at home and in
period.

PS: I will be at Artisan on Saturday.  Take a look at what I will be
wearing.  I am not looking at a reasonable attempt as much as what is
comfortable maturnity clothes and shoes that give my back support.

Too many rules push people away.  I thought life was good in Elfsea.