ES - Information for the Populace On the Bardic College

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:53:42 PDT 1999

Mistress Stella, Greetings,

I am Lady Simone Maurian Ui' Dunlainghe, coordinator of the New Ansteorran Bardic College.

This Letter a Brief for you and your group of the activities and projects of the College. Along with briefing, you on our progress sense our forming at coronation in January. I would like to ask that you share this information with your Populace, and all those interested in the Bardic Arts.

At Coronation in January of 1999, the Bards in this Kingdom gathered and voted to unanimously to start a new Bardic College. Her Grace Duchess Willow De Wisp brought this gathering. Sense that meeting of those bards in attendance, there have been meetings with other Bards at various events across the kingdom, and laid the foundation for the college. We agreed that we did not want to make the mistakes of the last two attempts of a bardic College in this kingdom. We wiped the slate clean and started over. The new College started with the Premises that the Bardic College should be an Organization dedicated to Serving and providing information to the Bardic Community in this Kingdom. With a Primary Purpose to strengthen the Bardic Community through the sharing of information, ideas, and techniques in formal and informal gatherings.

To this end the first project undertaken which will remain an ongoing and progressive project, Was the forming of the Ansteorran Bardic College Website Called the Bardic Fire. The Website offers on-line resources for Bards in this kingdom that include Songs, Melodies, Poetry, stories, Documentation, Contact information for Bards in the Kingdom, Event listings, Resource links, A chat room and a bulletin board.

The second Project undertaken was the forming of informal gatherings called Bardic Work Weekends. These are sponsored by members of the Bardic community once a Quarter. The Location on where the work weekend will be held each Quarter is dependent on who has volunteered to hold it. At this time, the Default Location for the Bardic Work weekends is in the Barony of Elfsea. The next Work Weekend is scheduled for August 20-22.

At these work weekends the bards work on there skills, share Ideas, discuss issues of the college, hold classes, and work on projects concerning the college.

The third project is currently in the works is the formation of the Bardic College Newsletter. HL Robert Fitzmorgan of the Baron of NorthKeep is the Editor of the newsletter and is now taking Submissions.

The fourth Project in the works is 3 large volumes of Bardic material which will be offered to the Populace once all the Permissions to reprint are in from those authors with Copy written material, and estates holding historical material. These volumes will be offered by; E-mail. FTP downloads. Mailed on Disk for the cost of the disk, and mailed in a bound edition, the cost of which will be that of the materials used o created the Bound volume (paper, ink, and binding materials) along with Postage.

The fifth Project is that of setting down the guidelines of the college. The decision to establish guidelines is prompted by the opinion of many that; the college needed to have guidelines in which to follow. We have decided to start with a first draft of the Proposal, distributed to the Populace for Suggestions and commentary. The commentary needs to be in by the end of 20th year celebration, so that the comments can be taken into consideration for the second draft. This will be discussed at the bardic work weekend in August. Then in September the second, draft will go out for commentary and suggestions, With commentary due back by Oct 31. The final draft will be posted in November at the beginning of the Kingdom Eistenphode.

The following Pages will include information on these Projects to go out to the Populace along with a Copy of the First draft of the Proposed Guidelines for the Bardic College to be available for the Populace. I will have hard copies with me at events. We ask that you distribute the Proposal to the members of your Populace who would like to make comments on it. As well as a reading of the Proposal at your local Populace meeting.

Your assistance in getting this Information on the bardic college out to the Populace is greatly appreciated.

Lady Simone Maurian UI'Dunlainghe

Coordinator of the Ansteorran Bardic College

Bardic College Announcements

Bardic College website

The Bardic College Website has been formed. It is called the Bardic Fire. The URL is http://bardicfire.u4l.com

The Bardic Fire website continues to grow through submissions made by the Bards in this kingdom. Submissions are welcome from all, on all topics concerning the bardic arts. Including but not limited to Original works, Documentation, research Papers, and teaching materials. The site is designed to support old and new bards alike. Submissions can be sent to Lady Simone UI'Dunlainghe

Bardic Work Weekends

The college is sponsoring a bardic work weekend once every quarter. The work weekends are designed to be an informal free workshop were the bards of this kingdom can gather to share information, knowledge, share skills, along with preserving original pieces written by members of the bardic community in this kingdom. At these work weekend we also discuss issues and concerns of the college. All bards are encouraged to attend. In addition, members of the Populace are welcome. At this, time the location of the Bardic Work weekends vary, depending on which bard is sponsoring the work weekend. The default Location of the Bardic Work Weekend is in the Barony of Elfsea. The work weekends for the remainder of the year are scheduled for August 20-22, and Dec 3ed-5th. Contact Lady Simone UI'Dunlainghe for information concerning the location of upcoming work weekends of is you are interested in sponsoring one in your area.

Bardic Newsletter

At this time, Submissions are being taken for the first Issue of the Bardic College Newsletter. HL Robert Fitzmorgan of the Barony of NorthKeep has been selected to be the editor of the newsletter. He is asking for Submissions of Original Pieces, Guild information, Documentation articles, informative articles, and instructional articles, along with Artwork. The first Issue of the Newsletter will be free to the Populace. Subscription information will be available in the first issue. For more information Contact HL Robert Fitzmorgan.

Bardic College Offices

Premier Bard of Ansteorra Coordinator

(Executive head of the College) (Logistics, secretary, and administrator)

Duchess Willow de Wisp Lady Simone Maurian UI'Dunlainghe

(817) 794-0320 Margaret Green-Stevens

( No calls after 10 please) 3317 Littlejohn ave

Fort Worth TX, 76105

(817) 535 -1726 (No calls before 2pm m-f Please)

margiejr at sprintmail.com

Newsletter Editor

(Chronicler)

HL Robert Fitzmorgan

Scott Fridenberg
Rt. 1 Box 386
Skiatook, OK 74070
(918)236-4036 (No calls after 10 please)
scottf at webzone.net

Proposed Guidelines and Structure

For the Ansteorran Bardic College

With the forming of a new bardic college, comes the opinion that there is a necessity for a few simple guidelines. In order to preserve an organization designed to assist, support and build up the Bardic Community of Ansteorra. To this end the following guidelines are proposed as the rules for the charter of the New Bardic College and are presented to you the populace of Ansteorra.

We would like to have your input, opinions, and suggestions on this first draft so that we may truly represent the bardic community and Kingdom as a whole. We ask that all input on these guideline be sent or given to Lady Simone Marrion Ui'Dunlaing Coordinator of the Bardic College by the end of 20th year celebration.

This is just a proposal, or suggestion at this time. We want Public opinion before anything is set in stone.

You can contact Lady Simone in the following manner

Telephone: (817) 535-1726

E-mail: margiejr at sprintmail.com

Regular Mail: Margaret Risher 3317 Littlejohn ave, Fort Worth, TX 76105

Proposed Guidelines

The term "Bard" in this document is a general term used to refer to all musicians, poets, storytellers, skalds, instrumentalists, actors, and other performing artists.

The Proposed guidelines and there explanations are as follows:

  1.. Any person wishing to be a "Bard" in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, has only to claim they are.
    a.. The Bards in this kingdom have always been self-proclaimed. This policy has seen the rise of many good and well-respected Bards in this kingdom. It would seem foolish to change a policy that has worked so well for the past two decades; hence, it remains, hopefully for several more decades to come
    b.. No individual or group can tell a person that they are or are not a bard. Only the individual can decide for themselves whether or not they are a Bard
  1.. All bards are autonomous except in matter concerning the Bardic Community as a whole.
    a.. Each Bard is an individual with there own style and personality, hence the college does not mandate the type of Bardcraft an individual bard must pursue. Nor does a single Bard talk for the Bardic Community as a whole

  1.. The Bardic College is to remain forever non-political, those who hold offices are but trusted servants, they do not govern. They are to work for the support of the Bardic Community as a whole. Final authority for the college comes from the Bardic Community as a whole.
  a.. The Bardic College does not have a political opinion. Political opinions are that of an individual and do not reflect that of the college. The college as an organization of service to the Bards of our Kingdom, should not be compromised by the differences of political opinions, or to be used for political gain, hence the college remains neutral and non-political

  1.. Individual Bards may hire themselves to anyone wishing to hire a Bard
  a.. Bards earn their keep by patronage; hence, a bard may be hired by anyone choosing to hire a Bard. It is not up to the college to say which bards may hire themselves out or refer a bard for hire. This is an area between the Bard and the patron
  1.. Membership in the Bardic College is open to anyone saying that he or she is a bard. Membership into the college can only be canceled by the Bard not the college.
  2.. The Premier Bard Of Ansteorra is chosen annually , by the customs and traditions of the Bardic College.

  3.. The primary purpose of the Bardic College is to strengthen the Bardic Community through the sharing of information, ideas, and techniques in formal and informal gatherings.