ES - More ideas on Fighting Demos

Sharon P. vivaine at home.com
Mon Jun 7 20:22:02 PDT 1999

Since i'm fairly new at the demo fighting thing, I presented my ideas as
quick as possible so that I wouldnt forget them.

In general, it is true that as heavy fighters (and light as well), we do
fight in the heat of the summer into the afternoon hours.  However, what i
discovered was that in SCA tournament/war, WE generally have control over
when we can fight. That usually starts in the morning and continues
contiguously into the afternoon. In other words, we are either fighting or
waiting our turn to go fight and the breaks are minimal (less than an hour
or two at the most).

IN this demo situation, it was hours btwn fighting.  I found that a person
like me, who even loves the heat, had a difficult time keeping my staying
power waiting.  Now i want to put on a good show, because i had lots of
mundane friends who showed up to watch and learn.  But, i felt that i wasnt
at my performance best. In analyzing this, I am wondering if others had felt
the same, and what can we do, as a group, to find better ways of keeping
fighters fresher, more productive, and less injury prone, in a demo.

I also believe, that in brainstorming about these ideas, we can also
translate them into better tournaments too.  Sometimes, the best ideas come
out of non-traditional events.

Thanks for letting me express my thoughts on this. I am also keeping all the
emails on this subject for future reference.

Vivaine