ES - Highland Games

Sandeekg at AOL.com Sandeekg at AOL.com
Mon Jun 7 14:53:24 PDT 1999

I would like to thank, with all my heart, all those who attended, and helped
with, the highland games. Everthing I could think of beforehand was covered.
And a few I didn't think of. I thought of a few more things afterward
(hindsight is 20/20, foresight is pretty foggy) and will be glad to give
these ideas to whomever handles things next year if they care to hear. How
about you, Viv, you came up with new ideas right away. That sounds like a
true leader. Thank you to Allessandre, Rosalia, Stella and Gwendolyn for the
fiber arts. If I missed anyone, thank you too. (I didn't always have pen and
paper on me to take names). Thank you Mara of Rede for minding the tent and
speaking with the visitors, when you weren't revueing Brother and Blarney
Brothers. Thank you Chris for helping her. Thank you Tomothy of Glastonbury
and Ramon for doing, literally, everything. A special thanks to Lauren and
Whitney for water bearing. And thank you, everyone else for setting up and
breaking down, rapier fighting, heavy fighting, list mistressing,
marshalling, weaving, and taking our children to anime on Sunday (I didn't
forget you, your excellency). Once again, if I missed you, thank you.
	This was harder than I thought it would be. Communication between us
and the sponsors is not an easy thing. The main reason there was no schedule
is that they tend to be paranoid about us around the sheaf tossers. Who had
to move the Baronial tent?  Having the list field against the fence helped a
lot. But I was thinking about last year. Also, we have to beg for every free
ticket we get. Everyone doesn't always sign up very far ahead of time. Could
we get enough fighters and tickets for two shifts of fighting? I really had
no idea whether or not we would have enough fighters to have more than one
bout. I don't fight, but I watch, usually from around 11 am till 3 or 4 pm. I
don't know how you guys do it, but all are usually on the field in the heat
of the day all summer long. My hat goes off to you. Also, the crowds are much
bigger in the afternoon.
	One thing that impressed me was watching Seamus do an impromptu
story. He had a rapt audience and I wished we had included story time. Sorry
about not getting to dance. It got late, hot, and we got hungry.

Thanks again,
Yours in service,
Lady Siobhan Ui Niall (No longer in charge of the Highland Games)