ES - New group in Weatherford

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Jun 21 04:51:31 PDT 1999

Please pass on to Lady Gemma:

I beg you to realize that the majority of active
people in Elfsea, including both myself and the
Baroness, have either joined the SCA or moved here
within the last five years.

When we run around telling each other "Life is Good
in Elfsea", it's not without the realization that
it hasn't always been that way.

I don't know what happened when in the past, to whom.
Honestly, while I'm certainly sorry for the obviously
hurt feelings, I don't really _want_ to know either
side of that story.

Speaking for myself, as a royal peer and double peer
in the SCA, I would be happy to help any nearby
group of SCA members organize into an SCA branch.
Having founded two other branches myself, I perhaps
can help avoid the sort of pitfalls that sometimes
prevent new groups from being founded.

(For the record, while I would prefer to help with
a new canton, I would be happy to help with a new
shire as well.)

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan wrote:

> Bonjour cousins et cousines from Madelina de Lindesaye.
>
> As promised, I emailed Lady Gemma of Firth about the discussion
> concerning starting a new group (canton? shire?) in Weatherford.  The
> following is her reply (cut and pasted for brevity):
>
> "I can't help feeling the support is because of the
> difference in who is putting the idea forward, that
> may just be my personal anger still simmering, who
> knows.

I assure you that:  a.) I'm not clear who first
suggested this idea recently and that b.) I have
no knowledge of who might have proposed something
similar in the past.  So any willingness on my part
to help is without regard to who I'm helping.  Indeed,
I'm afraid I have few faces to put with the names
of folks who've been posting to this list from that
area.

> Yes, there is LOTS of interest in that area,
> there always has been. I also know a 'heavy' fighter
> with lots of SCA background that has recently moved
> there. He and his wife would probably help.  Robert is
> at work right now, I'll ask him when he gets in, in
> the morning.  I know he will probably feel the same as
> I about it.  By the way who is getting credit for this
> "new expansion" idea? (Yes, I'm STILL a bit hot over
> how it was handled last time).  I will contact those
> who wanted to play when we tried this before and see
> if they are still interested and put them in touch.
>      I have no problem helping there, it's still my
> dream also (the SCA) and I refuse to let the politics
> some like to play, wake me up. Feel free to forward
> this if you like.
>                                  Love to all,
>                                    Us
>                          Robert and Vickie Belt
>
>                          Ld. Egbert of Hastings
>                          Ldy. Gemma of the Firth"
>
> As always, if I can be of assistance, feel free to prevail upon me.
>
> Amicalement,
> Madelina

Hurt feelings cost the SCA more members than other cause I
know.  I hope you can get past yours and find a context in
which you'll enjoy playing SCA more actively again.

- Galen of Bristol
Viscount, KSCA, Pel., CIM, CSM, etc.