ES - Period toys for children

Armand Dragonetti dragonetti at generich.com
Wed Apr 12 08:34:55 PDT 2000

From: Christine Fink <eleefink at consultant.com>
Subject: ES - Period toys for children

> Does anyone know of where I can find toys for children that are period. I
am
> really looking for dolls. I have a feeling that girls did play with dolls
> and stuffed animals. But, I want to know how they were constructed,
whether
> they had faces, etc. Also, I would like to know what types of toys little
> boys played with (besides toy swords). Does anyone have a clue as to where
> can look or what books I could find on the subject? I'm getting a lot of
> hits concerning Victorian toys, but nothing concerning toys during our
> period of study.
>
> Maria de Vasquez

I was looking through a book last night on Viking communities. It depicted
girls with dolls and boys with wooden swords & shields. It also described a
game that appeared similar to badmitten, played with a ball of leather &
feathers and using small paddles to hit it around. The paddles looked
similar to a small buckler (i.e., a grip behind the board) but I don't
recall reading any more in depth rules for a structured game. The book title
& author also escape me at the moment (I wasn't really in research mode),
but maybe Ameline can help with that if you are interested. (Ameline, the
book is/was on the couch. :-)

-=Armand=-