ES - Re: response to role playing

willowjonbardc at juno.com willowjonbardc at juno.com
Fri Aug 18 20:28:28 PDT 2000

Dear Dux,

The study of social history is still the study of history. When we study
Beowulf we get a social prototype of the hero.  When we read the saga we
get insights to what the Scandinavians thought a great man was. These
stories show us role models of the world of ought of beens. When we
portray these traits in our personas we showing the social values of the
historical periods. The great Celtic hero against in possible odds. The
Saxon hero that would rather die than leave his dead lord. These are the
dreams that the people in the past taught their children. When we study
the dreams of the past we are studying the soul of man.

I do agree that each one of us has their own path. I might study social
history and you might study medieval warfare but the values of the SCA ,
which we both agree on, tell us to respect each other.  I believe there
is room, with a little planning, for most of the dreams.
Willow