Laurel approved Titles -- Was {ES - The Elfsea Domesday}

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 31 15:11:34 PDT 2000

Buenos Dias, Aeryn!

Before I answered you, I wanted to make sure that what I said was correct,
so that if I was not then I could apologize. Well, I just got off the phone
with my old Spanish instructor that I mentioned previously. She said that
yes in Spain during the time period that they had kings, queens, etc. that
the title for a lord or lady of the court was Don or Dona, respectively. The
use of Senor, Senorita, and Senora was primarily used for those that were
not of the court (ie. merchants, and peasants and the like). Now in Mexico
and some other Spanish speaking countries and now currently in Spain, the
title of Senor changes to "mister, lord or gentleman". Don and Dona are
still used in Spain, but not quite as much.

I understand the confusion. Languages can vary greatly from one country to
the next. As an example, my mundane mother is Cajun (born and raised). Her
grandmother only spoke French. So in high school she decided to take French
so that she could converse with her grandmother. After a couple of
semesters, she felt that she was ready to hold a simple conversation with
her grandmother. Little did she know that the Cajun language is vastly
different from proper French. During the conversation, she asked my
grandmother a question. But, she could not understand why she flew into a
rage and tore into my mother's mother! In the Cajun language, she had asked
her grandmother a very rude and obscene question! OOPS! (we still tease her
over that to this day...hehe)

In service,
Maria

----Original Message Follows----
I am more familiar with French, but I wonder if -- as both are Romance
languages-your translation of Senor as Mister, etc., is exactly accurate.
Reasons follow:

1. In French Monsieur literally translates as my (mon) lord (sieur) and has
been rendered as mister in the more egalitarian mundane world.

2. In the Spanish version of the Lord have mercy (or Grant this oh Lord - I
forget which as it has been a while since I heard a liturgy in Spanish) the
phrase is Senor  Rogamo (spelling is iffy at best as I only heard the phrase
- If you want a real laugh ask me to spell Liturgical Serbian)

Aeryn