ES - Heal Thyself first

Mark A. Arnold maarnold at gte.net
Thu Feb 17 05:37:52 PST 2000

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Galen here...
> Her Grace Willow wrote:
> <snip>
> > I have been in this kingdom for a long time and I can tell you that the
> > "bad stuff" is pretty low right now.

Politics is part of the game. When things get nasty, I just think of how
"period" politics are. The politics may affect my character deeply, but can't
hurt me personally.

> > We need to start playing again. Not just at Gulf Wars but all the time.

Gulf Wars brings on that bottom-dropped-out-of-time moment for me (more so than
Pennsic) -- especially when there's a bard at your campfire. Let's have more
events like Gulf War. Three Kings does it for me, too. Queen Maud granted me
lands (should we win, which we didn't). This gave me a reason for being there.
Thank you so much Your Grace Willow. The land grants you gave out were beautiful
and really really really got me into "being there". Moments like that make me
think things are actually better.

    True, those moments come all too rarely. I wish we all could have the time
to prepare such things.

> > We
> > need to stage tavern fights and have people challenge each other.

    Idea: Celtic feast. Roast a pig for three days. On the third day, people
challenge each other in a contest of bragadocio. The winner gets to carve the
hind quarters for his group at the feast. If you think that someone else needs
to prove their boast, take them outside. In the end, the winner carves
everything off the pig -- leaving only the knuckles for everyone else. Everyone
else, of course, justifiably lays on and, in the ensuing brawl, rivers of blood
and body parts flows out of the door of the feast hall. This story (from the
Mabinogion, I think) is probably more legend than history. Which are we
recreating, legend or history?
    It sure would be a hoot.
    Glaslyn can't put this one on at this time. We have already planned our
events for the rest of this year. Also, we would need to get experienced SCAers
to this event, so we can get some really great stories out of it.
    I'll buy the pig.

> > We need  our events to be friendly to role players and doers.  Right now
> > if you want to do something someone looks down their nose at you and ask
> > " do you have permission"

    Maybe it's not such a good idea. Every time I bring it up, people look at me
(with almost Roman disdain) like I'm some kind of Celtic barbarian.

Llew Mailin
Glaslyn