[Re: ES - Stepping Down]

SAM MILLIGAN sam_milligan at usa.net
Tue Feb 8 07:38:24 PST 2000

May I suggest that we put into place an official method for those unable to
attend Moot to express their opinion to Their Majesties?  During other polling
instances, we have used a secret ballot to inform Their Majesties of overall
populace opinion.  When people have been unable to attend the actual
balloting, we have allowed them to write their choice on a 3x5 card, seal it
in an envelope, and seal the first envelope inside a second envelope.  The
person's name was written on the outside of the second envelope for the
purpose of checking their name against a polling list.  After it was checked
off, the outer envelope was discarded, and the inner retained for the overall
secret ballot of the populace.  This kept everyone's ballot their own
business.  This also satisfies the "in writing" requirement that Mableth is
concerned about.  As far as notifying the populace in writing, this mailing
list is certainly a means of conveying information to the populace in writing,
and is probably read by many more of the populace than subscribe to the Scroll
or are actually paid members so that they even receive a Black Star.  With all
of the methods so far discussed (email, post card mailings, notices at fighter
practice, etc.), I have to believe that an honest effort is being made to
inform everyone about what is going on.

None of this means that the Crown should not receive individual opinions on
the worthiness of one candidate or another, but this is generally done via
mail or in person, and although the time period for selection may be somewhat
foreshortened, I think anyone who feels the need to communicate their concerns
to Their Majesties will be able to do so.  Perhaps we should ask TRMs if,
given the circumstances, they will accept missives concerning the selection of
the new Baron/Baroness via email.

Just my two shillings worth.

Padraig