ES - Persona play

Padraig Ruad O'Maolagain padraig_ruad at irishbard.com
Wed Feb 16 12:11:13 PST 2000

Good solid ideas from Cyniric.  This is the kind of dialog I like to see, the presentation of positive things to do.

I have found that the more details of your persona that you work out, the easier it is to assume that role.  Anyone who has ever performed in a play understands this principle - you must know your character in order to assume it convincingly.

How do you determine who your persona is?  Write out what you have already determined about him/her.  What is your country and culture?  What language do you speak (when not speaking the common language so that all the barbarians from other lands can understand you <grin>).  What year is it - both from a common reference and in the terms your people use.  What clothing is common to your area and class?  What foods do you eat, how are they prepared and spiced?  What money do you use - pounds, shillings and pence, marks, lire', kroner, etc.  How educated are you, and do you have a typical education for your time and place, or are you more or less educated than most?  What is your trade?  Were you apprenticed to learn it?  Who was your master?  Are you married or single?  Do you have children?  Do you have siblings?  What are some of the defining moments of your life so far?  Are you currently serving or have you served as a soldier of any kind?

And these are just few of the questions you can ask yourself about your persona.  A life is a very complex and involved thing.  The more details you can fix in your mind of who you are when you are in your persona, the more convincing you will be.

I'd like to see more ideas on making a persona convincing - I know I don't have a corner on the market <grin>.

Padraig

--
Nunc Est Bibendum