ES - Persona play

Richard Culver rbculver at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:52:34 PST 2000

>Good solid ideas from Cyniric.  This is the kind of dialog I like to see,
>the presentation of positive things to do.

  Thanks, Padraig.

   In Glaslyn, we have been working, albeit slowly (why do today what you
can put off tomorrow), on putting up persona stories on the website.  Maybe
on a more informal level, we could have people put up their persona stories
(as long as it is not "War and Peace") here to 1) let people share who they
are (persona wise- it is one thing not to be familiar with one another
mundanely, but I, for one, would like to know more about people in The
Dream), 2) let others see how involved it can be, and 3) to encourage those
who may not have given it much thought or were not sure how to develope a
backround the chance to grow.   The only things which happen are we learn
about ourselves, about other, and gather ideas to make the Dream better.  I
am sure even much more could come out of it as well.

  In his wisdom, Centurian Airaklee Wolf often recalls when he realized how
much there really was to The Dream.  He uses the example of a person
standing on an empty stage against a huge black wall.  This is just the
fighting aspect of The Dream.  Now surround the person with a bunch of
different colors on wall.  Now he is part of a greater, beautiful whole.
Not lost in it, but an integral part of the beauty of it.  This is probably
the best "painting" which we as "artists" should do our parts to paint.

   I, for one, would like to see more thematic (sp?) events.  The first one
to which I went was The North Sea Raids at Raven's Fort.  It was fun to hear
all the Celt vs. Norse bashing because it was appropriate for persona, done
for fun, and added to the atmosphere.  I would like to see events for Early
personas, Middle personas, and Late personas.  They may not make huge
numbers, but they would given various people the places in which they feel
more comfortable with themselves as a persona.

  My personal example of the need for the above is Coronation.  While I
enjoyed watching the King's Champion Tourney and seeing the variety of folk
from across the realm, I personally felt out of place at the courts.  I do
not fault Their Majesties nor their predecessors as it is their Dream to
live as well.  They worked hard for it.  I am just saying I felt out of
place.
   For my persona, a "king" (OE= cyning) meant literally someone from the
kin or of one's kind. The notions of barons, counts, and the like were
centuries down the road.  One was either a theow (slave), ceorl (churl
[encompassed freed- {those released from slavery} and freemen {those born
free}]), or atheling (nobility [encompassing hlafard {Lords proper as
opposed to the polite address "lord"}, eorla {earls), and cyninga {kings}]).
  For me, in persona, the complexity is daunting.  I guess I like things a
bit more baudy or "barbaric" (for lack of a better term right now) even
though I do understand the place for the formalities.  I am sure some people
with a love for the 15th century would be repulsed at what makes me happy in
persona and I would not want to cut in on their dance anymore than they
mine.  It would be nice, at least every now and then, to be able to go to
something in which an atmosphere for a 5th century Angle can be made to feel
"at home" though.

   I really do not know beyond this right now.  Maybe a good "civil war" or
border raids into Calontir would liven things up, but that would be
"barbaric". :)

My $1.50 worth,
Cyniric