ES - Redneck Anglians

Amy and Bill Morris awmorris at flash.net
Mon Jan 3 11:17:14 PST 2000

>     I have been reading a book on early English settlements, and
discovered
> at one time there was an Anglian king named, dear to Texas' heart, Bubba.
> The names, I am find are somewhat odd all over, as one of Rædwald's sons
was
> named Anna (-a ending in Old English is weak masculine).
>
> Godspeed to everyone,
> Cyniríc Cyniwarding

As an SCA name, it wouldn't matter whether an Anglian prince named Bubba
existed.  The royal pedigrees are virtually our only record of early
Anglo-Saxon naming practices.  Anna, or Bubba would be accepted and even
commended.  (just not Anna Raedwaldson).

Whether Bubba actually existed is another question.  Do they say whether
they are working from contemporary documents or king lists?  The 'son of'
lists are our only name documentation for some periods of history, but have
to be treated with care.  Sometimes they are accurate, and sometimes they
are for public relations purposes.

For example, every Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon royal house could trace
itself back to Odin, Thor, or Frey.  The early warrior expected to be led by
the god-descended.  When the royal houses converted to Christianity, Odin,
Thor, and  Frey were kept, and linked to the Old Testament, and to Adam.

I have a Victorian genealogy that trails off into the king lists for Anglo
Saxons and British royals.  The Earls of Nottingham are descended from
royalty of England, Scotland, Wales, France, Leon, Denmark, Castile, the
Holy Roman Empire, etc.  Adam, Noah, and Abraham are at the head of the
family tree of course, but Odin, Thor, Frea, Jupiter, King Priam of Troy,
King Coel of Rheged (old king Cole), and Joseph of Arimethea also figure.

Mableth