ES - Fighters? (was: Elfsea Defender Tournaments)

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Jun 20 11:18:02 PDT 2000

I would fight in either one. I do think we should set it up to
handle situations like Stella's where some form of combat is
not possible. There should be an option to choose another form
or to "by" into the next round. Feargus and Rick might have
a similar problem with the barrier.

I would also marshal/herald rapier, if possible. If we alternated
rapier and chivalric, I would marshal the rapier in heavy armor.

The statement that the Defender should be chosen only by combat
is more difficult. Though we want the best fighter possible, I
believe Defenders would have been chosen by the nobles in
period based on many criteria. Ability to create strategies,
respond quickly to battle changes, manage people, and choose
a wife with the right political connections could have been
more important than the ability to fight one-on-one. If you
argue that this is not really the middle ages, then the title
of Defender is really an award, not a functional position.

Caelin