ES - RE: How to get out of jury duty

forvalaka at juno.com forvalaka at juno.com
Wed Mar 8 10:18:01 PST 2000

> Does this work? Yes! Why? Defense attorneys don't want people in the
> jury
> pool that are professional, intelligent and analytical. People that
> usually
> have these qualities do not base thier decisions on feelings and
> will ask
> for a stronger penalty for the crime. Defense attorneys usually want
> you to
> feel sorry for their client. People that don't usually have these
> qualities
> or are highly religous will feel sorry for their client and judge
> them as
> not guilty or will give them a lighter sentance.

But the prosecutor will snap you up like a bear trap.  That's how I ended
up on jury duty.

Far be it from me to suggest that someone evade their civic duty or
anything like that, but my father got rejected for jury duty once by
stating firmly and with great assurance, "If he wasn't guilty, the police
wouldn't have arrested him."  No one wanted him on the jury then.

And if you're going to wear garb, wear your court garb.

Charles O. Baucum Jr.

                Mortuus non est quod in aeternum insiditur
                et aetate ignota mors ipsas finiretur