ES - What a glorious war!

Richard Threlkeld rjt2 at airmail.net
Tue Mar 21 15:43:36 PST 2000

My most prized memory of this war was the second field battle. The Arthurian
Company was positioned about 20 yards from the left end of our line in the
second line of the shield wall (the first line, their reinforcements, then
us). As the Trimarians moved to engage our wall, they began to shear to
their right (our left). Wolf called for us to shift left and as a group we
shifted to the left and then turned a little to our left to create a shield
wall on the left flank.

I could only see myself and Marmaduke the Tree Killer on my left. We formed
a tight shield wall and hunkered down a bit behind the shields as we had
practiced. There were about 8 or 9 spear men directly in front of us and
about 7 feet away. Their shield men were mixed in with them and they were
even in front of the shields some of the time.

They poked and prodded, pushed high, pushed low, combined in groups of two
or three and generally did what spearmen are supposed to due. But we held
absolutely solid. They did not kill any of us and we did not give any ground
at all. After 15-20 seconds (timing from the watchers - it seemed like 15
minutes), we were ordered to advance to engage. We charged them. The
spearmen were not expecting it and were pretty much unprotected. We broke
their line and killed several of them each before we were ourselves killed.

I was later told that 12-15 of us had held the shield wall against 60-75
enemies - the main force of the Trimarian push. They had stacked up behind
their front line, unable to move while the rest of our line had begun
rolling up their weaker shield wall on our right flank. A new wall had
formed behind us before we were ordered to engage and we never did give an
inch on that flank. Our attack had kept their attention on us while the main
Ansteorran group was rolling toward them.

What fun! To die gloriously, taking several of the enemy with you. And to
effectively use the skills we had developed through the patient and hard
work of our captain, Sir Galan, and others.

Caelin on Andrede
Proud to follow Wolf and be in the Arthurian Company