ES - Virus Alert! This is serious!

Daungerous (Donna R. Thompson) daungerous at ev1.net
Sun Mar 26 13:06:18 PST 2000

Thanks guys for all the info you put out.  I am a super-emailer, belong to
several lists and get about 60-70 messages a day.  I also use Outlook 5, so
I was SURE that I would have this virus.  Doing the checks, it showed that I
did not.  But, I am so paranoid about losing stuff (I have a web business,
so it would be REALLY bad) that I brought in the big guns, my super-geek
husband.  I wanted to know how is it possible that I don't have this virus
and he explained it to me this way:  "Previewing" a message is different
than "opening" a message.  In Outlook, the message is displayed if you
highlight it, then you read it in the "preview" mode, but if you double
click on the message and it opens a separate window, you have "opened" it
and will launch your hard-drive.  He told me to listen to my hard drive when
I did this and you can hear it start up.  I only relay this info because I
was concerned I would have the virus and not know it (even with the links
provided, I didn't trust myself to do it right) because I am only a
"geek-in-training".  He also said that this only a possible explanation,
some viruses load from "preview" mode and others load from "open" mode and
some do both.  I just needed a reasonable explanation of why I wasn't
infected and thought others might also.  Needless to say, I got the patch
downloaded.

Thanks again,

Daungerous
Pretty is as pretty does.