ES - Fine words.

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at home.com
Fri Nov 24 18:03:57 PST 2000

Xene here:

I've been enjoying a holiday with relatives, and have found out that I am
related to the President of Texas, Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar.  Doing some
research, I came across a letter from Mirabeau to the residents of Santa Fe'
asking (cajoling)them to become citizens of the Republic of Texas.  The
expedition to deliver the offer was cut-off and captured by the Mexicans
(thanks to a traitor).

Anyway, one of the quotes was quite fascinating to Llywelyn and I:

"Will you shelter yourselves under the broad banner of the Single Star,
which sheds luster where ever it floats, and lights the brave to victory and
glory;....?"

Thinking of all our Ansteorran friends near and far,

Xene, Llywelyn, Sam and Arnbjorn.

p.s. the link is at
http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/santafeexped.htm#lamarletter if you want the
whole story.