ES - Re: Serving as best we can

Christine Fink maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 10:38:08 PDT 2000

I, too, agree with Lady Mara and Lady Simone.

The golf carts are vital to our events. I have never seen them as an
intrusion of mundaneity into our events. Why? Because I ignore them. There
is usually only 3-4 carts at an event on a huge event site. If they come to
the list field they stay to the outer rims as best as possible  and they are
very quiet (both points make them very easy to ignore). I could see a
complaint if they were driving between the list fields and the paivilions.
Besides, how do we cover up every aspect of mundaneity? Though we can do our
best, we can't hide every mundane item and we must therefore, just ignore
them as best we can.

I know I have been playing for less than a year and maybe I don't really
have much of a say in this, but here's my $.02 worth:

As a chirurgeon, I have witnessed for myself how quickly they can get us
(chirurgeons) to a medical seen quickly. At one emergency I needed to
attend, it would have taken at least 2-3 minutes to run (literally) to the
scene, but with the cart, we were there in a matter of 30-40 seconds. We
have also used them to transport people to the hall at Canton, when they
were suffering from heat exhaustion or were near the brink of a heat stroke
and they either just could not or were not able to walk to the hall
unassisted. I have also seen the carts used to transport ice and full water
jugs to our water-bearer tents at the varying list fields for us.

As a person who has run security on foot, I see them vital here as well. I
did security on foot at Defender this year. After 2 hours of pure walking, I
was totally wiped out and I was really hurting. Now I admit, I know I'm
seriously out of shape and over weight, but I also have a bad left ankle and
a slight case of arthritis in my right knee. I was unable to authorize for
rapier that morning and I was hardly of any use in the Chirurgeon tent that
morning. As far as spreading news of impending bad weather, they were
wonderful at Warlord! We got the news out quickly and was able to get most
everybody safely indoors within minutes.

I have never been an event steward. However, I am a people watcher and have
seen event stewards *everywhere* at an event. I do not think that they could
stand walking all over the site all weekend long. Whether they are in good
physical shape or not. I do not feel that it would be fair to ask this of
them. They are already mentally stressed beyond belief and sleep-deprived
with the responsibilities of running the event. Why make them physically
stressed as well?

As far as a solution to cover them up somehow. The only problem might
be...How would you cover them up without damaging the exterior of the cart
(ie. paint job)? These carts are rented and must be returned in like
condition or (and I'm guessing here) that the Barony has to pay for any and
all damages.

If this is so bothersome.... Why not just imagine that they are Merlin's
magic carts? My children called them that at Defender...I thought it was
rather cute. :)  If it is a mundane item that can not be hidden, I tell my
children that they are not mundane, but something that Merlin whipped up for
us to use. I know that this is not a fantasy group and I'm not trying to
make light of the subject, but it does help me to cope with mundane items
that just can not be hidden or ignored for whatever reason.

Maria de Vasquez
Elfsea's Chamberlain and Deputy Hospitaler

http://mariadevasquez.homestead.com/index.html

----Original Message Follows----
I tend to agree with Mara, If it was not for the Cart at Elfsea on
Saturday night I would not have been able to continue to serve security
Because my injury had flared up almost to the point that I could barely
walk.

the Carts outside of providing a way of getting around also serve Other
useful functions.

1. A faster response time for emergency situations
	a. Chirurgeon response
	b. Transport of injured personnel
	c. Dispatch of weather announcements ( Steppes Warlord was a prime
example)

2. Transportation
3. pack mule (running errands back and forth over large amp sites

Yes they do have a mundane feel. Yes they do serve a vital function. so
do Ice chests, some tents, eye glasses  I could increase the list ad
infunitem.

I would suggest that instead of saying well it's mundane and that's that
that we find a creative solution to disguise our helpful friend the golf
cart. I've seen various events disguise them well as Horse, Wooden
Carts, Boats and even Carriages. we have many talented and resourceful
people here in Elfsea. I feel a solution can be found that works out
well for the golf cart and for keeping a period feel to such a useful
device.

I would suggest to keep the cart for appearing as a status device that
all security  personal be able to use it. that we have a reserve battery
charging. to handle the load. That rides are given to those in need not
just royals and upper nobility. that priorities for use of the cart be
laid down.

This is an Issue I hope can be resolved quickly and with little debate.
because their are solutions if we look at them.

In Service
Lady Simone Maurian Ui'Dunalinghe