ES - Re: Serving as best we can

Tim Rayburn tim.rayburn at webmodal.com
Mon Oct 16 11:13:40 PDT 2000

> The golf carts are vital to our events.

I have remained silent on this matter because I wanted to view other
opinions, and because I knew firmly where I stood.  But this comment is
fundamentally untrue.  There is simply no event whatsoever that golf carts
are vital to except the largest of wars and gatherings of legend like Gulf
Wars, Pennsic and ATYC.

Ice, Water, Chirurgeons can all be moved by cars and trucks.  These are
always at an event, these are acceptable in their intrusion because they are
either shortly in the area or it is an emergency.

Security can and has been done without golf carts many, many, many times.
Yes, there are those incredibly hard workers such as HL Mara who without
some form of assisted movement cannot handle these duties.  This is not a
reason to allow creeping incrementalism to allow them to become common
place.  If a shift of security of two hours is to much, then work a shorter
shift.  Also realize that security in the concept of truly patrolling
campsites is mostly a concern of Canton because of the high degree of
openness to mundanes.

I feel that covering up the carts is simply an invitation for others who
privately own golf carts to do the same, and suddenly they are everywhere.

Again, I am not denying that certain things which the carts have done must
continue to be done, but that does not mean they must have the cart to get
done.

Timothy of Glastonbury