ES - Galen's opinion (was: List policies)

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Tue Oct 31 10:56:54 PST 2000

Quoting Sluggy <slugmusk at linuxlegend.com>:

> Greetings, Galen and Elfsea!
> Some mail lists I am subscribed to, especially the
> ones with lots of traffic, periodically post the
> charter/rules for the list automatically, the
> interval seeming to depend on the traffic. This helps
> keep everyone cognizant that there are specific rules
> concerning mail list membership.
>
> _I_ know the general rules for any mail list, but not
> everyone has the benefit of my experience. :)
>
> I have a couple of questions about the list in
> general and perhaps the answers will help everyone.
>
> 1. Who is the current list administrator?

That would be Lord Ceatta.

> 2. Is there a place where the rules specific to this
> list are posted or otherwise publicly accessible?

<http://lists.ansteorra.org/lists.html> is where you
can do a variety of tasks, including getting another
copy of the message you received when you subscribed,
which has the rules.  You can also get a list of e-mail
addresses that are subscribed to the list.

> 3. Is there a recommended place for the newcomer to
> the internet to find general "netiquet" information?

I don't have a place to recommend, but I think if you
try to follow basic rules of written English and
etiquette, you can't go far wrong.

You know, rules like spelling and capitalization, and
being aware of your audience and considerate of their
feelings.

When I set up the Elfsea list, there were several
things that were common on the Ansteorra list, which I
wanted to get away from.

One of those was the posting of the ever-popular
circulating e-mails.  At the time, these consisted
largely of bogus virus warnings, but they have come to
include all sorts of feelgood things about friendship,
which you are then charged to pass on to everyone whom
you consider your friend; or jokes; or religious
anecdotes, like the one we saw here recently; or
internet urban legends like Craig Shergold or the money
for e-mail scam; or bogus legislative warnings like the
one about the Post Office charging for e-mail (which
Hillary Clinton and Rick Lazio were asked if they
supported in their 2nd debate -- it's a hoax!); or
health warnings about common food additives like
Nutrasweet(r); or virtually anything that ends
with "send this to everyone you know!!!"  Most people
with e-mail see these same messages usually with little
if any variation, over and over again, and so they
don't need to be posted to the list.  Besides, I'm much
more interested in what's on your mind than in what's
in your inbox.

We also want to keep the subject matter SCA-related, so
that we don't all start going off on our favorite
tangentially-related topics, unless they really are
relevant to Elfsea, or of immediate interest to a large
part of the barony (this is the loophole under which we
arrange to see Star Trek movies as a group).

I wanted to be protected from all this, and also to
protect all of you from me, or else the Christian in me
would be contantly telling all you pagans, agnostics
and atheists why you should accept Christ, and the
Catholic in me would be telling all the Protestants why
you should come back to the Church, and the
Conservative in me would be telling all you liberals
why you should vote for smaller government, and also
all you libertarians why we need _some_ government, and
so forth.  I'm a very opinionated fellow, but I try to
keep my harangues down to about one a month, and limit
them to topics that are relevant to the list:  that is,
the conduct of the list itself, and the SCA and its
activities and philosophy.

But on very little notice I can knock out a thousand
words on any of the above topics, and I love to argue,
so we keep that stuff off this list, so that people who
want to actually use the list as a tool for legitimate
SCA-related communication, including for instance
today's announcement of a birthday party for Duke
Jonathan, can have a safe refuge.

We also don't post award recommendations to the list.
"Daniel & Siobhan did a great job on Defender!" is
fine, but "Daniel & Siobhan should be Pelicans!" is
not.  Those go in private e-mail, and I'm always
grateful to receive them.

Finally, I identified the Elfsea list from the start as
an SCA forum, in which SCA courtesy was expected from
all participants.

A few other bits of advice:

- Read all your mail before replying to any of it.
That way, you can see if someone has already posted
what you want to say, and if that's already been
replied to as well.

- Avoid jumping up to post what other people will also
post.  Especially if you don't do the previous bit.

- Quote enough of what you're replying to that people
can understand what you're answering, but not more than
you need.

- Trim all that extra stuff off the bottom of your