ES - AOA, etc.

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at home.com
Mon Feb 5 18:46:44 PST 2001

On this vein, I must jump in.

Xene here,

I realized this weekend that I got my AOA 22 years ago at Candlemas.  I'd
like to say that I was 3 years old at the time, but that is unfortunately
untrue.  Since I am turning 44 this year, that means that I've been an Lady
half my life.  After I received the AOA, Principality and Baronial service
awards, I went 11 years without recognition.  Then it all seems to have come
at once.

I know how hard it is to give recognition to everyone, to try to make sure
that no one who does contribute, create, and serve be overlooked.  I know
that the current Baron and Baroness have been quite zealous in their
recognition, and their recommendations to the Crown.  However, they do not
control the Crown's decisions.

I have watched as Crowns have tried to make decisions over AOA, Grants, and
Peerages.  They all have had to develop some minimum standards for the
various levels.

Looking back at my 11 years without any recognition, I realize that I was
not working and playing at the level of a Sable Crane or a Thistle during
that time.  I didn't travel very much outside of Bryn Gwlad and Stargate.
Sitting in one's own encampment and complaining about not being recognized
was *not* the way to have people look at me as a noble and a Peer, either.
No one likes a whiner.  I didn't even meet my own minimum standards at that
time.

So I found my *passion* in the SCA - Byzantine research, music and other
arts, and the service in the Chirurgeonate.  I found a group of friends that
I enjoyed working with.  We still work together for the greater good, and
not for our own selfish needs.

I found my joy, and I found what Ansteorra means to me.  If you feel that
someone has been overlooked, then step up and let someone else see the
greatness that you see.  Don't give up if it doesn't happen when you want it
to, either.  I have put people in for awards over and over again, until I
finally convinced a Crown to see what I saw.

Find your joy, find your passion, and share it with others.

In Service,

Xene