ES - Re: AOA thread/politics new

willow taylor willowjonbardc at juno.com
Mon Feb 26 10:00:52 PST 2001

Dear Lady Ealasaid Mac alBhaird  called Aeryn Greetings from  Duchess
Willow de Wisp

You made the following statement and it is something I am very proud of.

> The people of Ansteorra deserve great credit that politics is played
> only a
> little here and most people are willing to speak out when they see a
> good
> thing happening.

I was one of the founding members of  the idea that makes up Anstoerra.
But I would like to point out something  false in your statement.
Ansteorra do play politics. Ansteorrans are very knowledgeable about
politics. Ansteorrans  realize that politics are important to the day to
day running of our kingdom. Ansteorrans  also realize that prestige and
power politics are inherent in the running of a social organization. We
view  politics as  tools.   We also realize that some tools work well
while other are messy. The folks that worked on the  kingdom, and there
were many of us , decide to promote fair politic. We believe that if you
had a problem  you directed  your force on the problem  not on the
individual. Attacking the individual was classified as improper politic.
Anything that involve making a person feel bad was thought to be
improper. Even in Power and Prestige politics it was thought to be wrong
to attack your opponent.  For example, you don't get to be the best
costumer by destroying all the other costumers but by making the best
costumes. Harassment and blackmail and intimidation were some of the
political techniques that were classified as improper. When we use fair
play politics we might get mad at each  other for a while but we didn't
hurt each other as people so we can work together at a later date. One of
the mistakes people make is to classify all politic as bad and refuse to
study them. What happens is when someone needs to get something done or
wants something they have no "good" techniques to use so they fall back
on the simplest and usually most messy politics. By given people
political techniques that cause less problems  we cut down on the hurt
and frustration and everyone can be happier and more creative.