ES - Children at events

S. McFarlane tanwyn at flash.net
Sun Feb 18 23:33:32 PST 2001

> I agree.  I think something should be done.  I have a two-year-old and
> one on the way.  I have not been to any events with my child, but I have
> heard so many stories like your own.  What if there is a MoC but it is
> handled in a different way.  Each child is given a token or some thing
> that will match what the parent has.  Then, at a certain time, a hearld
> announces that the MoC will be closing at such and such time.  If the
> children are not picked up, the parents will be found.  If there is a
> continuous problem with certain parents, then they can be asked not to
> bring their children to future events.
> Would this work, or am I just too idealistic?
Ok My two scents worth as one of the previous MoC's of this Barony..... and
some one who plays this game without the participation of my husband.
Cait... your suggestions are right on the money, this is actually how things
were done in the past, now I must say as long time players, some of us have
gotten too comfortable with the system and have become lax in our duties to
supervise our children... also to help the Moc.( Including myself <blush>)
we tend to get to caught up in our own activities. Our MoC is there to HELP
us entertain the children, not to provide us with an all day -Day care. All
too many times I found myself as MoC with a large group of children and No
Parental Units to help me out ... I see the same thing happening to Ly
Ameline. She does a wonderful job with our children, we need to make sure
and help her out in shifts. We also need to remember that the MoC has
children and family of their own to tend to for lunch and dinner. We need to
make sure our kids are picked up in a timely manner, if you are in the
middle of something ... send a friend. As to the older children , by all
means involve them, I used to get the older kids to take a shift in
children's activities. They had allot of fun, and had something that they
could be responsible for. It's the children with nothing to do that find
time to get into things.
The idea of Pages or Fostering is a great suggestion too, and a very period
thing to do. (we all know are children behave better for other than they do
for us at times.)
I think we all have a lot of good ideas, and I believe if we work together
we can have well supervised  younger children, and happily involved older
children and a HAPPY MoC.

Just my thoughts,
HL Tanwyn~