ES - Children at events

Heather Ault htault at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 06:51:02 PST 2001

"I can understand leaving your kids for a few hours
with the MoC, but all too often it is expected to be
an all-day babysitting service

Cyniric hlafard Cyniwarding"

You have an excellent point there. I do not have
children but I know from personal experience the
frustration of someone who is "expected" to take care
of someone else's children. I was at my first Elfsea
Defender and a lady told me she was leaving to watch
her lord fight in the tournament and to take care of
her kids while she was gone. She said all this as she
was walking away. No "would you watch my kids for a
moment while I..." or anything. She just left without
even asking me if I had anything planned at the moment
(I had. I was going to watch my lord fight in the
tournament).

In hindsight, I should have caught up with her and
told her to please find someone else (those kids were
a serious handfull). But like a sucker, I watched
those kids and resented every minute of it. Now, I
don't watch anyone's kids because of this lady. She
was very rude and has done this to other people as
well.

The point of all this is that parents, if bringing
their children, should be responsible for them. If the
parents don't want or cannot keep up with their
children the whole event, they should either volunteer
to assist the MOC as a sort of "thank you" for taking
care of their children FOR A FEW HOURS (not all day)
or have someone stay home with them.

Have a great day all!

In service,
Eleanor Cleavely

=====
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall.
     ---- Measure for Measure. Act ii. Sc. 1. 456