ES - Shooting the Dux (err...I mean Duck)

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 17:41:52 PST 2001

Buenos Dias!

It seems as though most everyone misunderstood me. I apologize for not
resonding sooner.

I just used Passage of Arms and the current conversation concerning the
children as examples of negativity. No, I didn't feel that my feelings were
being trampled on. I was just getting extremely frustrated.

I want to hear (and expect to hear) constrcutive critisism. All I ask is
that if you have an objection, don't just object and leave it at such. Tell
me or others under what circumstances would you try something. For example,
I refuse to do X because of a bad past experiance, or it didn't work
elsewhere. Wouldn't it be more constructive to say, I won't do X under  this
circumstance because of a bad experiance or it didn't work elsewhere, but I
might consider doing X under this circumstance?

Constructive critisism is what makes us all stay on our toes and makes our
Barony a better place. However, when a person only hears the negative and no
suggestions about how to make that problem work, then not only does one get
frustrated, that person will get discouraged and their feelings hurt, they
may just give up trying completely. No, you don't have to worry about Ms.
Persistant here.

I said all this because it concerns me that someone who is new to our
society *might* drop out because they feel they aren't getting any support.
To me this would be a sad thing. There was a second addage to what Grandpa
told me, "If you shoot the duck before it leaves the ground, you may not
have shot a duck, but an eagle and wouldn't that be a sad thing?" At the
time (to be honest) I thought it was just old age and senility and I didn't
understand what he meant. But as I got older, I began to understand what he
meant.

Wouldn't it be a sad thing if we didn't show our newcomer with some measure
of support and we lost a potential member that could have been a great
benefit to our society??

Maria