ES - Fostering in Loch Ruadh

Chris Harper bice.pietro at home.com
Wed Feb 28 22:29:29 PST 2001

Greetings to the list,

I feel moved to speak on fostering in Loch Ruadh.  I am a complete product
of that process.  When I first expressed an interest in playing, my son &
daughter-in-law took my to my first meeting and first event.  Soon after
that, she introduced me to a lady with whom she thought I had a lot in
common.  I really think she got tired of all my questions.<G>  Thankfully,
this lady was a vast storehouse of knowledge, and with a considerable
amount of patience.  Of course most everyone knows I am speaking of
Baroness Dana, but at the time she was Lady Dana.  And not everyone will
agree with the patience thing but I will explain.  She has a lot of
patience with the un-informed, just not with the stupid.  She made sure I
had feast gear, camping space, a pretty table to sit at and was introduced
to a bunch of people and activities.  She guided me through purchases of
chairs, bedding ( down comforter, YEAH ) tables, books, paint supplies,
etc.  I was of the boy scout camp method and she taught me the SCA camp
method.  Our garb is different but she introduced me to someone to help me
with that too.

I bought a "Known World Handbook" and found it to be very helpful.  I still
look up things in mine.  But for history, it is so nice to have someone to
ask.  The personal contact with a new person is very important to them and
something they will always remember.  It helps if you are an outgoing
person but not everyone can talk to a tree (like me).  I was told, and
later found it to be true,  that all you have to do is walk up to  someone
and ask about their garb, persona or even who they are and what they do,
and they will be glad to tell you.  If you don't know what to do, just ask
your mentor; that's what they are there for.

We still practice fostering in Loch Ruadh when we have new people that seem
lost or could use that kind of help.  I was lucky enough to have been
handed over mainly for that purpose.  So, if anyone out there doesn't like
me or the way I am, now you know who to blame.  (BIG <G>)  Love that Mama Mac!

Bicé