ES - Shooting the Duck....

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 12:01:44 PST 2001

Buenos Dias!

Ok, I know I'm going to get blasted for this...

I hate being told that I can't do something before I have been given a
chance to do something. My grandpa (an avid hunter when he was younger)
always told me, "Hon, never shoot the duck before it leaves the ground". In
other words, don't shoot down someone's ideas before they get a chance let
their ideas take flight.

When Passage of Arms came around, a call was asked for bids. I was the only
bidder. At that time, there was no set site. I looked around and found 3
possible sites. I decided on the public park because it was convienent for
all of us and had some really great amenities (like the fireplace,
playground and bathrooms). When I posted that I was currently in the stages
of getting approval for the park as the site. I was hit immediately with a
dozen or more e-mails (public ones and some very nasty private ones) stating
that there was no way we could hold the archery at the park. Being stubborn
(it's that mundane German blood that runs through me), I pushed on and
through alot of calls and persistance, I got approval.

Now we are discussing what to do with children in general. There have been
only a handful of people on this list who are trying to give positive ideas.
Everytime, we post something that is a really good idea and warrants looking
into....The duck gets shot.

If you have a problem with the discussion, that's fine, but instead of just
giving negative feedback, why not give your ideas on how to improve the
situation or the idea? Why do some folks feel that it's OK to shoot
another's idea down without giving a positive feedback? These negative
feedbacks with no positive comments can really cause hard feelings. They can
potentially drive away current members and drive off completely any
newcomers reading these posts or making a post.

Maria