[Elfsea] Points about Parks

Master Darius masterdarius at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 17 09:19:48 PST 2001

OK just going through and re-reading a week or so of e-mail and thought I
would say a few things

First off, Trinity Park

It has Location going for it however Some of our membership are vehemetly
opposed to this particular park.  I actually haven't seen the post of "I
won't go if it is held there" about any of our choices _accept_ Trinity. and
these came from several people. wether or not the fears and concerns about
this park are well grounded, or reflect curent states of affair, I have to
wonder about the possibility of moving practice to a location that clearly
makes a chunk of our populace not only uncomfortable, but down right
fearful. I don't think this is a good choice of a place for our Baronial
practice for that reason. Especially since these same concerns _have not_
been voiced about our other choices. As far as I can tell the only location
that is a make or break for most people's attendance is Trinity, and the
people who _won't_ go there.

Second Archery.

Archery is indeed an important part of the SCA as it was an important factor
in the middle ages. I agree that it would be a wonderfull thing to have a
location that was willing to let us do archery, as well as Chivalric and
Rapier. Who knows I might actually get the time to learn how to aim left
eyed for right hand.  However, we can move our current practice to a
different park that doesn't allow it and keep looking for a place that would
let us do it all. This decision is not binding upon us for 5 generations. We
can after a few months decide we don't like the new location or decide we
have found a better one that better suits the needs and desires of the
populace. Right now I would be happy with a working restroom close and
accessable from the practice area.

Third Bedford Boys Ranch

Though I am in favor of River Legacy personaly, I think the Bedford Boys
ranch is a location that meets the needs and desires of the largest portion
of the Populace. It is the first choice for some and the second choince for
others, but for most people it is in one of those two positions.  I don't
think anyone has said they won't come if it is held there. The only issue is
waiting till we go before the Bedford City Council (or parks and rec or
something) before we could use it. Ok fine so we have to wait a little
longer. We can use that time to ask the marshallate, both local and kingdom,
to pull out our records and our saftey nubers.  Present Bedford with our
safty rules, and  requirements as well as a _proven_ record of saftey and
who knows, We might manage to talk them into Archery in the park. We don't
know till we try.

No one in the Barony lives closer to Randol Mill than Rosalia and I. We can
see as well as anyone else that although Randol Mill as a whole really is a
nice park, the area we have used for years and years no longer suits our
needs. Finding a place that suits All of our desires is an admirable project
that I am sure will go on as long as the quest for a perfect event site.
Perhaps it is out there just waiting to be found, perhaps it is a pot of
gold and we are chasing a rainbow, but what the heck? Isn't getting there
half the fun?

Since I gave my two pence already I guess this is "in for a penny, In for a
pound"

At Home in Elfsea
Master Darius of the Bells, OL
(gee that looks cool, Hope I don't get to used to it!)