[Elfsea] Moot Tonight -- Fighter Practice Discussion

Tessa Nieto eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 18:45:23 PDT 2001

Greetings,

After reading the minutes, I would like to weigh in
with my opinion.

I believe that we should look for a place that
accomodates the fighters but at the same time not move
practice because of "demographics." We have the
opportunity to recruit those who wouldn't normally
consider joining the SCA (Hispanics,
African-Americans, Asians, etc) at Randol Mill Park.
Also, with other cultures fusing with our
admittedly-European group, I believe that the populace
would grow and flourish in the Arts, Sciences and on
the battlefield. Granted, the bathrooms aren't perfect
but Randol Mill has always been a wonderful park to
hold fighter practice in. But, since everyone wants to
move, I would like to throw out an idea.

May I suggest that we use Trinity Park in Fort Worth?
The park is HUGE, has plenty of space for archery (and
Ft. Worth Parks & Recreation has expressed an
"interest" in letting us hold archery there), great
bathrooms, lots of water, a great playground for kids
and high visibility, especially on the weekends. I'm
pretty sure the lighting is good there. Plus, we would
have the same opportunity to recruit those same groups
that enjoy Randol Mill Park every Sunday. Perhaps we
should consider holding practice there a few times and
get the feel of the park.

Also, about all the practices we have during the week.
I can count at least four (Tuesday heavy, Wednesday
light, Thursday heavy, and Sunday heavy and
light)during the week. That's alot of practices and
alot of time spent travelling for everyone.

What about, instead of centering all those practices
in Arlington, Elfsea holds a Wednesday practice in
Loch Ruadh, a Thursday practice in Burleson (is that
Dragonsfire Tor?) and Sunday in Elfsea? That way,
those who don't live in the Arlington area have other
options for fighter practices if they cannot make the
Sunday "group" practice? I think that including the
entire barony, not just those who live in Arlington,
should be our utmost concern. Now, I'm not saying that
that is the sole reason for holding practices in
Arlington. I love being able to get to practice in ten
minutes. But I know many fighters who trek an hour or
more just to get to fighter practice on Sunday and
that can put a tremendous strain on them.

Or, if that is not a good idea, why don't we cut down
on the number of practices we have during the winter
and start increasing the number as we approach Gulf
Wars? I've noticed that after Gulf Wars, attendance
decreases but a few months before, we have a huge
crowd. This may be something to think about and I
believe that it will also give the Knight's Marhsall a
much-needed break.

I think that's about it. Sorry for not being at Moot
to express this but things happen. I know that the
Barony will make the right decision for Elfsea.

I remain...

your most humble servant,
Lady Eleanor Cleavely
Rapier Widow