[Elfsea] -iris bulbs

Lisa Duke arabella at elfsea.net
Fri Aug 16 10:00:08 PDT 2002

According to Neil Sperry, Texas's gardening guru...
"Bearded iris do best in sun or partial sun, (no shade) grow 12 - 30 inches
depending on variety, bloom in early spring and mid-spring.  Plant them
shallowly, deep planting invites decay.  Plant them in well drained, highly
organic planting soil preferably raised beds.  (I however have planted them
in just the dirt in your yard and they have done very well, iris is a very
hardy bulb in this part of Texas.)  Space them 15 to 20 inches apart.
Fertilize after they bloom in the spring and again as they start new leaf
growth in the fall.  Water in should be done at the soil level."

My grandmother had irises for many years and when they become very thick she
would dig and divide them because they get crowded.

They do well in both, but they really seem to prefer the sun

Maria
(my garden is full, too! I guess I better do some weeding myself)