[Elfsea] Congrats

David Knebel herault2 at attbi.com
Fri Dec 13 10:36:52 PST 2002

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate a few of our own
on their recent registrations with the College of Arms.

Siobhán inghean Duinn Uí Néill. Name and device. Per fess wavy Or and
vert, three natural seahorses counterchanged. Submitted as Siobhán
inghean Donn Uí Néill, Donn is a nominative form of this masculine given
name. As it follows inghean, it needs to be put into the genitive form,
Duinn. Because Duinn starts with a D, it does not lenite after inghean.

Stella Silvana. Badge. Azure, two bendlets wavy within a bordure argent.

Dáire de Haya. Device (see RETURNS for badge). Argent, a dragon statant
erect affronty wings displayed gules maintaining on its breast a mullet
Or, a tierce azure. -- We'll get that device redrawn and resubmitted.

Domhnall Dubh Ó Ruairc. Name.
Listed on the LoI as Domhnall Dubh O'Ruairc, this name was submitted as
Dohmnall Dubh O'Ruairc and the misspelling in the given name was
corrected at Kingdom. The submitter requested authenticity for 13th to
14th C Irish. The form O'Ruairc is a mix of Gaelic and Anglicized Irish
and is not registerable. We have changed the byname to the fully Gaelic
form Ó Ruairc. The documentation provided supported Domhnall and Dubh as
masculine given names. Double given names were not used in Gaelic in
period and have been reason for return in the past. In the case of this
name, Dubh is also a descriptive byname meaning 'black'. Therfore, this
name is registerable as a given name, followed by a descriptive byname,
followed by a family or clan name.

Congratulations once again,

Ld. Tomás Niállagáin
Nautilus pursuivant