[Elfsea] Heraldry News!

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Thu Dec 19 11:23:53 PST 2002

I have wonderful news!!!  Below are excerpts from Laurel's most recent letter of acceptances.  Elfsea made out very well!

{A'}ilgen{a'}n mac {A'}eda meic Canann.
D{a'}ire de Haya.
Daniel de Burdon.
David ben Leon.
Domhnall Dubh {O'} Ruairc.
Gerita del Mare.
Patric Long C{oe}ur.
Richard of Durnford.
Siobh{a'}n inghean Duinn U{i'} N{e'}ill.  --  Our Baroness!!
Stella Silvana.
Thora Olafsdottir.

There were a handful of returns, and I'd be happy to help these people as necessary.

--- Partial Letter From Laurel ---

{A'}ilgen{a'}n mac {A'}eda meic Canann. Name.

D{a'}ire de Haya. Device (see RETURNS for badge). Argent, a dragon
statant erect affronty wings displayed gules maintaining on its breast
a mullet Or, a tierce azure.

Daniel de Burdon. Device. Per chevron vert ermined Or and sable, in
base a horse rampant Or.

David ben Leon. Name.

    Listed on the LoI as David Ben Leon, the name was submitted as
    David Ben Leon of Glaslyn. The locative based on the submitter's
    SCA branch name was dropped at Kingdom to meet the submitter's
    request for authenticity for a persona of a "14th Century male
    English merchant/alchemist of Hebrew descent". We have lowercased
    the particle ben to match documented forms.

Domhnall Dubh {O'} Ruairc. Name.

    Listed on the LoI as Domhnall Dubh O'Ruairc, this name was
    submitted as Dohmnall Dubh O'Ruairc and the misspelling in the
    given name was corrected at Kingdom. The submitter requested
    authenticity for 13th to 14th C Irish. The form O'Ruairc is a mix
    of Gaelic and Anglicized Irish and is not registerable. We have
    changed the byname to the fully Gaelic form {O'} Ruairc. The
    documentation provided supported Domhnall and Dubh as masculine
    given names. Double given names were not used in Gaelic in period
    and have been reason for return in the past. In the case of this
    name, Dubh is also a descriptive byname meaning 'black'. Therfore,
    this name is registerable as a given name, followed by a
    descriptive byname, followed by a family or clan name.

Gerita del Mare. Name.

    Listed on the LoI as Gerita del Mere, this name was submitted as
    Gerita della Mera and changed at Kingdom because no documentation
    could be found for della Mera. The submitter requested an
    authentic 15th C Venetian name.

    The documentation included with the submission indicates that the
    submitter intended the phrase della Mera to mean 'of the
    sea'. Unfortunately, this is incorrect. The word for 'sea' in
    Italian is mare rather than mere. Additionally, the word mare in
    Italian is masculine, and so it would be used with the masculine
    particle del rather than the feminine della. We have made these
    corrections.

    Sommelier found period examples of this byname:

        "Fourteenth Century Venetian Personal Names"by Arval Benicoeur
        and Talan Gwynek includes Mare as a surname
        (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/venice14/venice14sur.html#table). The
        "Florentine Renaissance Resources: Online Tratte of Office
        Holders 1282-1532" (http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/)
        lists DALMARE once, DELMARE 20 times, [...] as surnames.

    We have changed the byname to the form del Mare to meet the
    submitter's request for authenticity and to register this name.

L{i'}adan Arundel. Name (see RETURNS for device).

Patric Long C{oe}ur. Name.

    Listed on the LoI as Patric Long C{oe}ur, this name was originally
    submitted as Patric de Long C{oe}ur and changed at kingdom because
    no evidence was found that de would have been used with a
    descriptive byname. The LoI noted that the submitter intended
    "Long C{oe}ur [...] to refer to the large kindness (ie : Big
    Heart)." Both Long, meaning 'long', and C{oe}ur, meaning 'heart',
    were documented as bynames from Marie-Terese Morlet, Dictionnaire
    {e'}tyologique de Noms de Famille. Therefore, this name is
    registerable as a given name with two unrelated descriptive
    bynames which do not combine to give the meaning desired by the
    submitter. The College was unable to find evidence that these
    elements would be combined into a single descriptive byname with
    the meaning desired by the submitter.

Richard of Durnford. Device. Argent, on a fess azure a lion passant Or
all within a bordure azure.

Siobh{a'}n inghean Duinn U{i'} N{e'}ill. Name and device. Per fess
wavy Or and vert, three natural seahorses counterchanged.

    Submitted as Siobh{a'}n inghean Donn U{i'} N{e'}ill, Donn is a
    nominative form of this masculine given name. As it follows
    inghean, it needs to be put into the genitive form, Duinn. Because
    Duinn starts with a D, it does not lenite after inghean.

Stella Silvana. Badge. Azure, two bendlets wavy within a bordure
argent.

Thora Olafsdottir. Name.