[Elfsea] Bocce Ball

Master Darius masterdarius at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 10:38:59 PST 2002

Greetings

Just thought I would drop a line and let people know that Target down on
Eastchase and I-30 has tournement Bocce Ball sets on clearence sale.

Bocce is a game that is rooted firmly in period (and before) and varients of
the game were played all over Europe  in the Middle ages. The English
variant of "Bowls" or "Lawn Bowling" is the same as the Italian Bocce save
for the balls are weighted to one side instead of being balanced requiring
the player to make curving throws rather than strait ones.  It is said that
Sir Francis Drake held off leaving port to finish a game before going out to
fight the Spanish Armada (although he likley needed to wait for the tide
anyway). Richard II actually interdicted the game because it was felt it was
taking away for practice of Archery and other matters of civil defense.

So if your looking for a simple yet period game to play at events or for the
youth to play, this might yet be an answer. You can also normally pick up a
set for about $20 at Academy, but the nice tournement sets like Target is
clearing out normally run $50 -$80 and Rosalia picked up my set (for
Valentines day) for a little under 20.

At Home in Elfsea
Darius