[Elfsea] This week in History

Arabella de Montacute arabella at elfsea.net
Tue Feb 12 12:10:21 PST 2002

>--- Paul or Galen <baron at elfsea.net> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Feb 14th, 1946:  Gregory Hines - dancer?
>>
>> Right.  He did "White Nights" with Barishnikov.
>
>Hey cool! I'm not the only one who saw that movie! ;O)
>
>Eleanor

Not only is Gregory Hines a dancer but, IMHO, he is the finest tap dancer in  my life time.  He danced tap when that was the only jobs a black man could get and if I remember correctly he came from a very impoverished back ground. That was a great movie by the way.  I also love Barishnikov.  He defected to the US about the same time as several other Russian ballet dancers, back when it was the only way they could get out from under oppressive Communist rule.
Arabella