[Elfsea] FWD: Re: [Steppes] Preparing for Gulf War

Arabella de Montacute arabella at elfsea.net
Wed Feb 20 10:51:18 PST 2002

>>> - No open flames in tents!  No lanterns or heaters
>>> that give off fumes in tents either!!  (there have
>>> been injuries and FATALITIES at SCA camping events
>>> in the past due to these things!!)

Well, the fatalities have been attibuted to two things: (1) improperly used heater in CLOSED, NON-BREATHING (nylon) tent, or (2) fire.  Just because a candle is stuck in a bucket of sand does NOT make it safe.

NO open flames, or even closed flames (never mind fumes, flames eat up oxygen) should be used in a nylon tent.  If you have a canvas, period tent, use them with caution, and DO NOT FORGET the two key rules of using flames:

   1)  NEVER leave a flame unattended.

   2)  If you are asleep, the flame is unattended.

If someone needs a night-light, get a battery-operated lamp.  You can buy ones that look like candles (I stocked up just after Christmas).  Do NOT cover the lamp - battery or otherwise - with a cloth to "make it look better" or to "add ambiance."  Fabric burns.

Other common-sense fire rules:  Just because you cooked dinner over a charcoal grill doesn't mean you can ignore it and not take the time to be sure the coals are dead.  Just because the citronella candle comes in a cute metal bucket does NOT mean it is a "contained flame."  Oil lamps are flames.

Canvas burns.  Nylon burns.  If you are afraid of the cold, get a hotel room, pack lots of blankets, bring a warm friend, get some of those chemical heating packs that camping-goods stores sell to put into boots and mittens, buy a "space blanket" to put between you and the ground or you and the rest of your bedding.  STAY DRY - wet will chill you very quickly.

                       ---== Morgan (who has had put out camp
                              fires and warm the hypothermic)