[Elfsea] Robin Hood Web pages

Vicki Marsh XaraXene at attbi.com
Thu Mar 21 19:38:54 PST 2002

Xene here musing:

I came across a lovely web page that I thought to share with all of you in
preparation for Elfsea's SpringFaire.  It is:
http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/rh/rhhome.htm

If you are so inclined, click on the "Author Menu" link to find a wealth of
period bardic pieces.  The Child's Ballads are good, but the period plays
from the Elizabethan era are *wonderful*.  There is quite a collection that
could be used by the bards and minstrels...... Some of the Child Ballads are
post-period, but others are not.

If you click on the "Artist Menu", please note that the artists are all
Victorian - not a good source of costuming - but fun to look at.

For those aspiring actors, I also came across in my husband's library, a
copy of "The Chronicle of King Edward the First" by George Peele.  The play
was entered in the stationers' register on October 8, 1593.  It was first
staged by the Lord Admiral's Company at the Rose Theatre in 1595.

In the play, Lluellen (Llywelyn), Prince of Wales, Friar Hugh ap David, Rice
ap Meredith (Rhys)and Lady Elinor dress up and pretend to be Robin Hood,
Friar Tuck, Little John, and Maid Marion, respectively.

Hmmmm.... if someone in the SCA does this play, would they then be
anachronists portraying anachronists?

Later,
Xene