[Elfsea] Gel Candle Warning

Christine Huse maria_elfsea at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 20:53:38 PST 2002

Hola!

I don't usually forward things like this, but I thought I would share this.
My mother sent this to me (it came from her genieology lists). I have seen
folks burning these at feasts!

"I had a gel candle from Bath and Body Works and it got so hot it broke the
jar into little pieces. I know you guys like these too so here you go.
Beware . . .My former secretary had a terrible thing happen to her and her
family last week, and I wanted to share it with all of you so that you could
be warned and warn your friends and family as well. She had a gel candle
burning in her house. it exploded and caught her house on fire. The house
burned down and they lost everything.  The fire Marshall told her that this
is not the first incident where a gel candle has exploded and caused a fire.
He said that the gel builds up a gas and often times it explodes and sets
fire to the room it is in, which is what happened to her. The fire was so
hot it melted the smoke alarm, and they didn't discover the fire until there
was an explosion, which was her toilet blowing up, and then it was too
late...the entire upstairs was engulfed in flames. Smoke damage and water
damage has destroyed what wasn't destroyed by fire. Please pass this along
to anyone I missed. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Her
family is devastated. All their mementos and everything of value and meaning
are gone. Thanks and take care! Note: Marty and I know a lady who loves the
gel candles. She had one burning on her mantle and it caught fire just like
the message above. She was at home at the time and saw it happen and grabbed
the candle to keep it from setting her home on fire and it came apart in her
hand. She saved her home but suffered 3rd degree burns to her hand and 3
fingers. Please if you or anyone you know have these candles, don't light
them, they are dangerous. And as if those two stories weren't enough...My
husband was home on vacation and had a gel candle lit on the top of the
entertainment center. He too saw the candle burst into flames. His first
instinct was to blow the candle out.  Well, that didn't work, so he blew
harder. The gel from the candle splattered and went everywhere. Everywhere
included his face. He had 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns all over his face.
The gel doesn't cool like wax does, so the bits that were still on his face
continued to burn him. And you can't wipe the stuff off; it just rolls up
and keeps burning. Please don't use gel candles. Fortunately his scars are
not noticeable now, but the "what ifs" are tremendous. We had a similar
experience. I had received as a gift a gel candle from Avon. It was
contained in a wine goblet, was sort of purple gel with glitter in the gel.
We had it on our dresser in the bedroom.  Once when it was burning, the
entire solid turned to liquid and the glitter pieces "jumped" randomly out
of the wine glass, taking drops of gel with it, getting all over the dresser
and window curtain. A weird scene to say the least.  Needless to say, I put
the flame out and emptied the remaining liquefied gel into the toilet. This
is definitely a forward that is a MUST!"

*** St. Theresa's Prayer ****
May today there be peace within
May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to
be....
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith
May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that
has been given to you....
May you be content knowing you are a child of God....
Let this presence settle into our bones, and allow your soul the freedom to
sing, and dance,
It is there for each and every one of you....