[Elfsea] re-enactment opportunity

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Nov 25 06:09:57 PST 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[The_Anvil] "Super Weapons" built by the ancient Greeks
and Romans
Date: 	Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:22:04 -0600
From: 	lama <lama at huntbrothers.com>
To: 	WorldBlacksmithing <WorldBlacksmithing at yahoogroups.com>,
TheForge
<TheForge at mailman.qth.net>, <The_Anvil at yahoogroups.com>

Attention Young Blacksmiths!

Matthew Catling, a television producer from Great Britain is working on
a documentary series for the Discovery Channel which will explore the
"Super Weapons" built by the ancient Greeks and Romans. In each program
we'll construct a life-sized working replica of these monsters.

The contenders include a giant siege engine with a 20 metre-long
battering ram, an enormous catapult...and other strange devices which
were at the cutting edge of military technology 2000 years ago.

Once constructed, we'll test the awesome destructive power of these
weapons against stone walls, wooden boats etc. We need to put together
teams containing engineers, timber framers, blacksmiths and other
experts who'll design, build and test these ancient
inventions...on screen.

Our candidates should be men or women with the following qualities:

* A high level of skill and imagination. Our team members need to be
able to solve the manufacturing and engineering problems faced by their
historic counterparts using only wood, rope, bronze and other
historically accurate materials.

* An enthusiastic and outgoing personality. They must be comfortable
with the idea of being part of a lively on-screen team.

* Teams should consist of "young men and women no older than their early
thirties".

The series will be filmed between February and March of 2004, probably
at a Mediterranean location. We'll put together a different team to
construct each weapon. In each case this will involve 10-14 days of
filming.

Interested individuals should send me a relatively brief email
describing who they are and what they do. They should also include a
photo, or a link to a photo. We'll then contact the people who might
work best in the teams we're drawing up.

Darlow Smithson Productions is a leading producer of documentary
programming. We make films for the Discovery Channel, PBS, The History
Channel, the BBC, National Geographic and a number of other
broadcasters.

Contact Matthew Catling
Darlow Smithson Productions Ltd
Highgate Business Centre