[Elfsea] Cooking books

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Dec 23 17:21:36 PST 2004

Yea! I just got several very nice books on food, mostly historical.

The Oxford Companion to Food is a listing of words and phrases with very
complete definitions. It includes historical information, dates when first
found anywhere, when found in Europe, gives the primary document
information. It contains no recipes, however. It is just nice.

The Cambridge World History of Food is a two volume set which contains
hundreds of articles on various aspects of historical food including what
staples they had, what diseases they had that might be food related, what
they ate by geographic regions, etc. Really neat.

Larousse Gastronomique is also an encyclopedia of food with historical
notes, but it also has thousands of recipes - mostly historic French recipes
with a hundred or so wonderful pictures and many hundreds of drawings.

Finally, The Professional Chef, which is the new CIA (Culinary Institute of
America) Cookbook/Handbook with recipes, lots of how tos, and a whole lot of
kitchen chemistry. It is one of the best books for learning how to be a
professional-level chef. The other one at the same level is The Making of a
Chef.

If anyone is interested in these books, come to the Cook's Guild on the
third Monday of each month or call to find when we are available
(214.850.1558).

In service,
Caelin on Andrede